Thursday, October 30, 2008

Journey of a Smile, continued . . .

One month ago today Teddi had surgery to close her open palate.  The surgery was a success, and we are so grateful for the surgeon's capable hands, and for God's continued healing of our little bird.  Looking back over these pictures it is hard to believe that it has only been one month.  The first few days were tough, and the nights were rough for a bit longer than the days (a good bit), but she's come around.  I am happy to report that for the past several nights Teddi has only fussed once or twice, and for the most part has gone back to sleep on her own.  This is the most peaceful she has slept since she came home in May.  Thank you Lord!

Wee hours of the morning, waiting for surgery . . .

she had no idea what was coming,
 precious recovering bird.



Her tongue had a stitch through it, and the thread was taped to her
cheek to protect her airway.  This did not make for a happy girl!
The stitch remained for the first 24 hours.
Tiny toes . . .

and a bandaged hand protecting the I.V. line.  She held these
 stickers for hours,  they were a reward for 
opening her mouth for the nurse.

Covered in cool towels to fight a short lived fever.

Enlisting the help of her favorite panda to hold the oxygen mask.
Day two, moved from ICU to the Pediatric ward.

A visit from Grinner, who was so brave to have be apart
 from Mama, and Baba and Teddi for three days.  
Thank you Grinner!

Big sister helps with the coloring, one of the main forms of
entertainment.  Teddi would color for a bit and when she became
 tired she would direct her "coloring assistant" which marker
 to use, and which area to use it in . . . and you had better do it right!

Strong enough to journey to the play room and
play with Baba.  Thank you Baba!

A visit from sweet Claire, and her family.  
Thank you Haine's Gang you brightened our night!

Coloring by herself . . . taking a break
from the bossing! 

So proud of the Get Well card made by big sister,
she took it on the last journey to the playroom and back.
Almost ready to bust outa Dodge . . .

Two and a half days after surgery,
our little bird is flying home.

She walked in the door, and immediately spied new 
glittery paint markers.  Big sister had left them out after 
making get well cards with Brogan.  
Teddi insisted on making a picture, so we did!

Four days post-op.
There were ups . . .

and there were downs.  DON'T touch a grumpy girl's tissue
paper, when she doesn't want help.  Lesson learned.
Thank you to Daddy's work for the new baby doll,
 it brought a smile . . . eventually!

Out for some fresh air, and some side walk chalking . . .

too tired to chalk  . . . gonna have to take a seat.

Ice cream anyone?  I have no desire to know how much ice
cream this little one consumed. . . day and night . . . it was a lot!
She did manage to maintain all 27 of her pounds,
for that I am thankful!

Today, one month later . . .
our littlest bird is back to flyin' high!

We love you sweet girl, and we are so very proud of your bravery!  

Blessings from my happy to be sleeping nest ~

Tina

Prayer requests ~

* Blogger friend Tammy, whose daughter Madi will undergo palate surgery in the morning.  Pray for a safe and successful surgery, and a speedy recovering for Madi .  . and for sleep for all involved! ( Tammy is in my blog roll.)

* Rob, Laine, Kimmie, Quan and new sister Candace Le are en route from China (as I type), and will arrive in Alabama on Friday night.  Candace is coming home!!!!  Pray for smooth travels, and for Candace's other four siblings Katie Lyn, Colby, Clay and Carlie as they wait to be united with their new sister!

Thanks ~ T.  

9 comments:

Monica said...

What a beautiful "one month later" photo! I just love Teddi's big smile and the light in her eyes!

That's amazing that Teddi maintained her weight during the month of surgery and recovery! With my own 20 lb peanut (at 2 and a 1/2 years old), I know how you can't afford for even a tiny drop in weight. Good going!

Jenn said...

Oh sweet baby! What a brave little girl!! Amazing how quickly she has recovered!

Kim said...

Oh Tina, I love the picture of Teddi melting me her mama's arms....so precious! I am so glad she is doing well and sleeping good!! This post is beautiful and so touching!

I apologize for being such a crummy bloggy friend lately. Just know I love you and that I get a rainbow moment everytime I visit your blog.

((HUGS)),
Kim

Sarah said...

Tina,

Thanks so much for sharing these pictures. Teddi is absolutely precious. Can't believe that we will have our sweet girl tomorrow!!

Love,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,

I delighted to hear that Teddi is sleeping better. The pictures are great and what a blessing to see how her siblings are there for her. Take care and God bless. Doris

Doreen said...

G-d bless your little Teddi. Although she's been thru so much, she has such a wonderful family making sure she gets the best. May the worst be over.

Doreen in Montreal single mom to Faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan

The Ferrill's said...

TINA! OH my goodness, how you encouraged us SO much on our journey! I've been dying to come see what you've been up to and this is such a great post! Little Teddi has sure come a long way! One month makes such a difference, I know!
Tina I cannot thank you enough for all your encouragement, prayers, verses, and just knowing you were there for us, praying for us...oh it makes my heart so full!
Thank you for giving us "shout outs" for prayer on your blog! YOU ARE SO SPECIAL TO ME!
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!
Laine

Patientlywaiting said...

Wow, can't believe it has been a month already. So has done so well and maintained her weight; way to go Teddi! So glad she is finally sleeping better! Is the rest of the family healthy again?

Hugs,

Robin

Margaret M said...

I love the last photo in this journey best of all! It makes it all worthwhile to see that smile~