Monday, March 1, 2010

Memorial Box Monday ~ Brogan: Special Delivery

For a full scoop on MMB, see this post.

You can also visit Linny at
A Place called Simplicity, here.



Brogan: Special Delivery




Summer of 2002. We were returning to Texas, after a wonderful summer vacation in Michigan with our families. Nearing home, we passed a billboard. An odd billboard. Perhaps only seen in Texas.

I did not take a picture of it at the time . . . but you can find just about anything on the Internet (including this picture). Obviously someone thought the billboard was "photoworthy", and since a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words -- I'll let the billboard do the talking . . .


So we are driving along and my dear husband says, "Maybe I'll do that for my 40th birthday."

Me: (In a slightly shocked tone.) Really?

B: Yep. What do you think?

Me: Sure. (Honestly, I'm not sure if that was my exact word. But, I will tell you I didn't spend a long time pondering.)

Fast forward a couple of weeks. My sweet man walks in from work and says, "I'm on the list!"

Me: What list?

B: The reversal list.

Me: Really? (Sorry to be repetitive.)

B: Yep, they ask me a few questions and said, "Sign up here, we'll give you a call".

Approximately one month later, and just days before Bry's 40th birthday, I receive a call at home. They have an opening for the surgery. Can they schedule him? Well, you could if he was in the state. But he wasn't.

No problem. We'll call again.

A little background. We were stationed at a base with a very large training hospital. Think residents need practice. Think free vasectomy. That in and of itself could be a great MBM post, since Goo*gle tells me the cost is between $6,000 to $15,ooo, and insurance generally does not cover it. Incidentally, ten years prior, the military had done for free, the very thing they were now going to "undo".

Fast forward a couple more weeks. Another phone call. This time Bry is available. He's on the books.

I will say for the record, that we didn't completely fly into this without praying about it . . . but our prayer was quite simple. . . "Lord, if this is Your will, then You make the way."

He made the way.

I must also share that well before this decision was made, the Lord had made the promise of Teddi's adoption to my heart. I had already been praying for her by name for nearly three years. I knew that if God made the reversal a success, and we conceived, it would be a boy. I can't explain it, but I just knew. I knew there would be no confusion between the child who I had long been praying for, and the child I would give birth to--if God so choose to bless us that way.

The day of surgery came. Afterwards, the surgeon said all had gone well . . . but, our chances of success were on the low side. Bry was over 40. One strike. It had been 10 years since his initial surgery. Two strikes. We continued to trust.

I had no idea what the statistics were until tonight when I looked them up -- 44%. That was our chance of conceiving since we were beyond the ten year mark. Hmmm . . .

Within six months I was pregnant.

The "average" time to conceive after a reversal is 12 months, but it can often take two years -- at which point I would have been pushing 43 years old. Again, I just looked this stat up tonight . . . we were going on faith. The more I know, the more I stand in awe of His goodness!

I was six months past my 40th birthday, I would be 41 when I delivered. I was of "advanced maternal age". Statistics would say that I had a much higher chance of delivering a child with birth defects.

Trust . . .


On March 23, 2004 at 9:23 p.m. Brogan Elijah Winder entered the world. On his due date. Perfectly beautiful -- every single nine pounds and eight ounces of him!


As with the addition of each and every one of our children,
our lives would never be the same!


Who could have known?

God did . . . before time began!



He had given us the desires of our hearts, in a most joyously, grinning way.




Who knew, that the daddy who said, "We're done",
would have his heart stretched in a way that only God could do . . .
to be filled in a way that only God could fill it?

Brogan and Teddi are a little over nine months apart. I like to think that at the same time God was bringing Brogie into the world, He was creating Teddi . . . an answer to the long prayer of a mama's heart.

Trust.


We will add to our Memorial Box this day, the positive pregnancy test stick from 2003, a reminder that statistics mean nothing when God is involved. Brogan, our special delivery, is certain proof of that!

Blessings from our five times blessed nest ~

Tina


"Love is the response of the heart
to the overwhelming goodness of God."
~ Richard J. Foster


10 comments:

Shannon said...

I love your story!!! What an awesome God!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

valerie in TX said...

Hi Tina, I'm visiting today from Linny's blog. I just love this story. What an amazing God we serve. One of my closest friends had just turned 40 when she delivered her first (and only) child. She said she had many moments of worry over the increased rate of birth defects for women over 40, but God told her the EXACT same thing you said in this post, "I am not a God of statistics"!!! So awesome. Thanks for sharing your story with us. :)

Sarah said...

Oh, Tina! I love this story and I love the pictures of your precious boy! What a wonderful gift he is!!

Blessings,
Sarah

Renee said...

So glad I popped over from Linny's blog. What a wonderful story. God certainly had a plan for you didn't He?! Such a beautiful little guy too!! God bless.

Patientlywaiting said...

I love this story, Tina. What a blessing Grinner is and the perfect big brother for Teddi!

Hugs,
Robin

Bonnie said...

Wow Wee Tina!!!!!!!!!
Our God is a mighty God isn't He??
God is delighted when we remember His faithful deeds. Way to go girl!

Tim was scheduled for the reverse of the reversal!!(i'm trying to be funny) This was B.T.(before Teresa) I said I was done. Finito. NO MORE!
Tim travels downstate to stay with friends..for THE SURGERY...
Then that still, small voice spoke and I listened and obeyed..
One phone call from me like this,"DON"T DO IT!!!", the morning of his surgery and he was quite willing to postpone all scalpels and come home!!
10 months later, a chubby, overdue by 11 days, 8lb, 15 oz girl won our hearts and souls forever....we didn't even have a name picked out because I was positive it was a boy!
I love my Lord--He is full of surprises..
Praising His name with you today
dear one,
Bonnie

Mom Of Many said...

I knew it! I knew it!! I'm so glad I didn't read when I had my make-up on and was heading to staff meeting...cause that would have been such a waste of make-up. =)

What a precious story and I love, love, love that God moved on hubby's heart first. So good of God and so fun for Brody to know for the rest of his life...

Thank you for posting - as always you are eloquent and moving.....

Love you dear friend,
Linny xo

Karin said...

I love this story! I just love to watch God at work. :)

Thank you sooo much for your sweet comment about Ryan on my blog. I'm pretty sure he took the test in the morning. They were up at 4AM, and I know they started all the platoons in the morning. Not sure when Ryan would have run, but wow...that is so amazing that you felt so impressed to pray for him. Thank you for being obedient and praying!! I truly believe only God could have gotten him across the finish line in time.

Amy said...

"EVERY good and PERFECT GIFT is FROM THE LORD." ...and what a perfect gift he is!

What a beautiful testimony, Tina, and what a gift for Brogan.

(((HUG)))

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina! I'm so glad I moseyed on over here from Linny's blog. Your MBM post is beautiful and so touching. I actually read it twice to reinforce the truth that it is God who orchestrates every good and perfect gift in our lives...down to the smallest detail, and we can trust Him no matter what. Time, age, and circumstances are no obstacles for our God (this speaks so deeply to me right now). Thanks for sharing your story. You have a beautiful family!

Be blessed,
Tina