I was all set to jump back on the blog train and then some stranger left a couple of fishy comments (that I have since deleted). I've spent the last couple of days trying to decide whether or not to go private--but have decided for the time being that I will just go back to moderating my comments. I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on the joys and woes of having a public blog.
Thank you friends, for sticking around.
While going through pictures for the
post I had planned to
do, I realized all of the things
I could have blogged.
But hadn't.
So . . . I decided a quick re-cap was in order.
Ready?
Here we go.
We have hugged a Komodo Dragon
on a zoo trip.
(Okay, so he was bronze, but he was tamer that way).
We have "lazy rivered"
for free
at a very nice Hyatt Vacation Resort!
All the while being very, very thankful
for daddy's travel card,
which earns him points
that can be used to purchase
such things as
some free lazy riverin'
and a comfy night's stay!
We gathered with our neighbors
(who seem to be missing from the photo)
to celebrate Memorial Day.
They really were there, I promise--
and despite the 100 degree heat,
we enjoyed getting to know one another!
We have made several trips back to our old side of town
to spend time with our favorite dentist.
One tooth pulled . . .
one tooth wiggled out by it's proud owner . . .
another tooth pulled . . .
another tooth crowned . . .
impressions taken for space maintainers . . .
and . . .
space maintainers installed!
One more appointment
for one more
filling--
and then I hope we are done for awhile!
My girl is a smiling trooper.
Grinner has practiced his
hairstyling skills --
obviously his biggest fan
approves!
We have super enjoyed our $8.00
thrift store deal
our triple slip 'n slide--
perfect for slip 'n sliding with our best buddy
(and former neighbor) Sam.
We have soaked up our time with Sammy,
knowing that he will soon depart for Germany.
And mama has soaked up time with
Sam's mama, Lori --
the perfect neighbor
and sweetest friend.
Twenty seven years worth of Air Force good- byes.
Ugh.
It's never, ever, easy,
but we are so thankful for each
and every friendship along the way.
Such precious blessings.
On another front . . .
some of us have worked on a
little new home construction,
even as some of us (namely the mom)
have worked to construct
the new house into
a home.
We have enjoyed our new view . . .
and watched the city "wake-up".
Good morning San Antonio!
And last but not least we've been blessed
with an amazing opportunity for our girl--
A two week long day camp
at a local university,
completely paid for (by private grants),
just for cleft affected kiddos!
This is huge.
Two weeks ago on a Thursday morning
I found myself in a teary conversation
with my sweet girl --
"No . . . one . . . understands . . . me."
I prayed a quick prayer for wisdom
as I began to share with her that
big sister had had to go to speech
when she was younger,
and that one of her older cousins had
also attended speech.
(He is a great big boy now, and that brought
a little giggle from my sad girl).
I also shared with her that mama has many
friends who have adopted kids from China
who also have cleft lip/palate like she does,
and who have to work very, very hard,
just like she does.
Yet in the back of my head I knew that it would be
tough for her to identify
with other kids "just like her"
if she'd never seen any of them--
which she hadn't.
Ever.
But God.
The day Teddi and I had the conversation
happened to be on her speech day.
And on that very day
the receptionist handed me a
paper about the camp.
I came home and called.
They were accepting ten kids.
I got the last spot.
The one the Lord had saved--
just for my girl.
Camp started this past Monday,
and guess what?
Out of the ten kids,
three (counting Ted) are Chinese adoptees.
Girls.
Just. like. her.
A prayer I hadn't even put into words
was answered because of the cry of my heart.
And my sweet girl now has new friends.
Friends who share the same almond eyes,
the same shiny black hair,
and the same beautiful smiles.
Friends who have to work hard
to be understood--
just like she does.
My happy camper
Along with a team of twelve
of the happiest, kindest, smiliest
graduate students--
(speech therapists in the making)
who attend the university.
Lots and lots of one-on-one time
with people who think you rock!
Just what my girlie so desperately needed!
He is faithful!
Coming home
All camped out.
And just as a little icing on the cake--
this is the view when I drop Teddi off each day.
So beautiful.
Strong towers.
Just like my Jesus!
Blessings from my, oh so blessed, summertime nest ~
Tina







8 comments:
Beautiful AND precious AND FUN! Love it Tina! So happy Teddi can go to the speech camp...God went before you and worked every little detail out!
Hugs!
Oh wow, Tina, I'm so happy for Teddi. Jadon, too, struggles with looking "different" and sounding "different"...makes a mama's heart so sad.
Love to you!
Sarah
Hi Tina,
Comments about our children uttered to us or to them break our momma hearts and when our children feel unhappy, we feel it 10 times more. So happy that you are a mom who is always there to help and shine a positive light on things. Tell Teddi that my 2 boys, now big boys, also went thru speech therapy for many years and they did not have a repaired cleft lip and palate so we are all proud of her and think she is the bravest!!! If you make your blog private please let me know as I think your blog is inspiring and when I open it, it is like a gift from God seeing my long ago friends family as if they lived next door and also your mighty words for God when we need them. So happy that Teddi has some inspiring teachers around her. God gave us the right speech teacher when we needed it also... Love, Karen H.
Tina,
Being a person who did years of speech therapy and a mom of 2 that did extensive speech therapy I know some of the frustrations that she is going through. I will be praying for all of you as you travel this road with her.
Love,
Denise
Oh, I just love God!! That is so amazing how He provided for Teddi. YAY! He guides and protects us so tenderly. Thank you for sharing that. :)
Sad to hear you had ugly comments but I hope you stay public cause I love your blog. How sweet of God to bless your sweet little lady with such a gift! Thanks for sharing.
Joy
I love reading your blog , the last few months . Today I read about your little one . My youngest daughter from China is a cl/cp child. She is 10 and so hard for people to understand , but for us a miracle . When she came home at 3 she couldn't say a word and didn't for a few years , now never stops . She also has hearing difficulties , right now an infection in her good ear . It breaks my heart to see her when she can't hear or be understood but she has such a good attitude. These kids are amazing , God is amazing . I am thrilled to be her mom , I know you understand that ! God bless your family . Judy , blessed mom to 7 , 4 grown bio and 3 daughters from China ! !
Oh Tina, I am just now catching up...PRECIOUS Teddi...how I would love to hug this beautiful baby girl of yours AND you! I am so grateful that God provided this special opportunity for Teddi and that it did her heart and soul so much good. His tender mercies and oh-so-perfect timing never cease to amaze...Thank you, God!
With Love and Prayers...
Post a Comment