These are pictures of my little bird sleeping peacefully BEFORE her palate surgery . . .
She likes to read to her "friends".
These are pictures AFTER . . .
Yeah, that's right, there aren't any. We made progress with the soft food diet today, and I feel like she got her fill, without major meltdowns, a big step! Sleep is a whole different issue, make that peaceful sleep is an issue. Teddi was getting to be a fairly good sleeper before surgery, okay, a fairly good sleeper some nights. And other nights, she's restless, but usually a little "shushing" and a forehead smooth will do the trick to get her back to sleep. Not so now.
Last night was the worst night she's had since her surgery. I have read that this is common after surgery . . . I guess I was just hoping we wouldn't be common!
Last night my poor babe woke at 1:00 a.m. and screamed inconsolably for 45 minutes, and I'm quite sure it wasn't from pain. I am staying on top of her pain meds, (including during the night)and pain doesn't seem to be the issue--she's playing and active during the day. When she wakes she is scared, frantic, traumatized from her ordeal. She hits me, hits herself, hits the bed--it is frightening and pitiful, especially when I can't settle her. She finally exhausted herself and fell back to sleep, but continued to wake and fuss on the hour. She had another crying fit at 5:00 a.m. (time for meds) and then she finally slept through until 9:30.
If you are praying for us, please pray for peaceful sleep. Last night I slept beside her, but it didn't seem to help. Baba had to leave yesterday (for a week) and I'm sure that has added to her stress . . . I know it has added to mine. The good part is, Bryan is working at Bryce's base in Spokane -- so it was a free trip to see our firstborn bird. (Hi Bryce and Bry, I love you!)
I need to hit the sack--rather hit the couch beside my girl, who has fallen asleep on a futon mattress on the living room floor, next to her beloved Grinner. It's a living room sleepover . . . let's pray that there is some PEACEFUL sleep involved!
Blessings from my tired nest ~
Thankful that the surgery is behind us!
Tina







7 comments:
Thanks for the update on how we can be praying for Teddi! Love from Nebraska.
my heart goes out to you and Teddi. Could she be having night terrors?
Doreen in Montreal single Mom to Faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan
Tina,
I feel for you...interupted sleep/no sleep is so hard. That has been my life since July 21st! We don't have the screaming in the night anymore...we just have very restless crying out sleep all night long. I am woken 5-20 times per night. I will be thinking and praying for you. So glad your surgery is behind you all now.
Best,
Caroline
Tina,
Jadon had nightmares/night terrors after his first surgery, as well. It was so sad and exhausting. I will keep praying...and Lily will too! She was so happy to get Teddi's note.
Blessings,
Sarah
Tina,
Just a thought, Drew once broke his foot very badly and the doctors put him on pain medication. He almost seemed to be hallucinating at night. Screaming and telling me things that did not make much sense. When I talked with the doctor, the doctor changed his pain medication and things were so much better almost immediately. I wonder if you spoke with the doctor, if it could be the medication. Not sure just thought I would share. Hope sleep comes soon.
Love, Karen
Oh, my dear friend, we will be praying for peaceful sleep in your nest! Glad to hear the eating is going ok and that daytime is ok too. Good idea from Karen about the hallucinations--we had the same thing with Doodlebug's surgery. When I stopped using the codeine, the nightmares went away.
Love,
Melissa
Bless her sweet little heart. Kai was like that for about a week to two weeks after his first surgery, then he slowly got back into the swing of things and went back to being the great sleeper he's always been.
Saying extra prayers for your little bird...and for her Mama. :)
Love,
Ohilda
Post a Comment