Monday, April 26, 2010

Memorial Box Monday ~ The Nest

For a full scoop on MBM, see this post.
You can also visit Linny, creator of MBM,
@ A Place called Simplicity, here.

Memorial Box Monday ~ The Nest

In March of 2008 I began writing this blog. I thought and prayed, long and hard, about what its name should be. I wanted the name to be a reflection of who I am--and to glorify God . . .

I love birds, my mama loves birds, and her mama loved birds--it's in my genes. My grandma had a bird feeder directly attached to her living room picture window. She was constantly shushing us when birds arrived, so as not to scare them off. It was in my sweet grandma's living room that I found my love of birds.

My Taylor girl, now married, was my "Birdie" when she was growing up. It only made sense then, as we waited to bring Teddi home, that she would be my "little bird". My oldest bird, Bryce, had flown the nest a year before I began blogging. My life was in a time of transition . . . my nest was changing and growing . . . and blessed by the Lord, always. And so began this place of sharing my thoughts about the things that bless my nest . . .

When I began blogging we were nearing the end of a very long wait for our LOA, our Letter of Acceptance, from China. This was the last big hurdle we needed to jump, before we could fly to our little bird. At that time LOAs were coming in at an average of around 80 days or so. After taking care of a small glitch caused by the CCAA*-- because they thought we hadn't paid them, our long awaited LOA finally arrived on day 126. It was April 8th, and the Fed Ex Man was my hero that day! He was even gracious enough to smile for my camera (bet he didn't know he would get a second mention two years down the road)!


I know, I know, I said this post was about a nest--bear with me, I cannot tell a short story --you should know that by now! So . . . two hours after my hero made his most exciting delivery of the day, two other visitors showed up on my doorstep. Actually they showed up, just above my doorstep and they began to build . . .

a nest!


Of all of the many places they could have chosen to build their nest, Mr. & Mrs. Swallow had chosen the security of my front porch! I like to think that they knew my nest was blessed!

What a smile from the Lord-- on the very day that my really, really tough wait had ended. On the very day that brought us much, much closer to bringing our baby bird home. On that very day--He orchestrated a nest to be built!


The first nest attempt didn't go so well, and after several days of work, the dry dirt crumbled and fell. The Lord then sent rain (and with it, mud), and you have never seen two little birds work harder, and faster, than my Mr. and Mrs. Swallow.


In no time at all, their proud new abode was finished!

The picture above was taken on May 8th, Mother's Day--just five days before we left for China. Mrs. Swallow had since began the task of sitting on her eggs, and her Mister was never far off. Some nights they would even share the nest, snuggled up together. Perfect!

Our long awaited day, May 16th, 2008, finally arrived. The countdown read zero days. It was time to go to China!

We said goodbye to Mr. & Mrs. Swallow (well not really, but it sounds good),
and we left to get our own nest addition!

On May 30th, we arrived back home in San Antonio. We had our fifth bird!


And guess who else had their brand new babies?


Mr. & Mrs. Swallow . . .

five to be exact!

One . . . two . . . three . . . four . . . five!

Now how is that for God being in the details?

But there is more . . .

Last spring found me up to my neck in wedding preparations. It also found me teary at times, as I prepared my heart to let my second bird go. My "Birdie" girl was getting married, she was ready to soar. That is tough on a mama's heart.

Once again, the Lord would bring my feathered friends to share my busy days, and to reassure me. I could hear Him speak to my heart, "I know what you are going through . . . it's change, and it's hard. But it's new, and it's good."

You have nurtured . . .

and grown her . . .


and she's ready to fly . . . and fly she did!

I couldn't be any prouder of Bryce and Taylor, my two soaring birds.

That brings us to this spring . . .

I haven't shared this yet . . .

but my Brady boy is ready to fly. Oh yes he is. He has completed the last of his required homeschool credits, and is officially graduated. He leaves in three weeks for Spokane. He's going to share an apartment with Bryce, and spread his wings under the watchcare of his big brother.

Once again, my mama's heart is feeling that all too familiar ache. He was just a toddler . . . how can it be?

Guess who is sitting on the nest? Again.

Oh Lord, you are so good to reassure us when we need it, to give us signs that you are near-- if only we will watch. Thank you for allowing me the privilege to be the mama to five of the most precious birds. Thank you for giving me wisdom as I raise them, and the strength to let them fly when it's time. Thank you that no matter where they soar, You are there. Into our Memorial Box will go a tiny nest, as a reminder of Your perfect faithfulness.

Even the sparrow has found a home,
And the swallow a nest for herself,
Where she may lay her young--
Even Your alters, O Lord of hosts,
My King and my God.
Blessed are those who dwell in Your house;
They will be praising You.
Psalm 84:3-4
Blessings from my nest ~

Tina

10 comments:

Beccy said...

Beautiful. I love your nest. It brings comfort to me seeing how God has gone ahead of you, had perfect timing, and has comforted you in the details, especially when the going gets tough. I know He loves me just as much, and it make me look forward to the rest of my journey as a mother to see what He does. Love from NE.

Patientlywaiting said...

Beautiful Tina! I remember seeing your "nest" many times last spring and the baby birds. Most important, I have fond memories of visiting your nest and chatting and sharing life together. Miss you friend.

Love,
Robin

Kat said...

So amazingly beautiful!

Sarah said...

Tina,

You have such a beautiful way of expressing God's goodness and kindness! Thank you for sharing this story. Isn't He wonderful?!

Love you, friend.
Sarah

Mommy of little ones said...

loved the story and with the 5 baby birds, too! how sweet. your nest is blessed :).

Bonnie said...

Tina,Tina, Tina...oh how you remind me of God's sovereign hand!! I love birds too and my 4th birdie, is also loving those feathered friends of ours. Birds are such tender reminders of God's love for us and His amazing provision. Thank you for your heart and how you hide yourself under the shadow of His wing..

I think we are birds of a feather!!
Love,
Bonnie

Mom Of Many said...

Oh my gracious!! Tina I just love you!! The whole time I read your story I had goose bumps...Emma and Josh are here working on cinnamon rolls for morning, when Josh will come back over and paint with Emmy...anyway...they were loving looking at the pictures of your birds and laughing in disbelief that there were 5 babies as you brought home your 5th...just like God...so amazingly into the details...Love your story and always love your heart! By the way...your stories would be oh so ho-hum if they were short! So keep writing beautiful long stories that bring honor and pleasure to Christ!! xo

Goodness and Mercy Mom said...

Oh Tina, I'm crying with this post, not just because it's an amazing story, but because God also sent a special nest to our home (spring 2004).

I'll some day share our MBM nest story on my blog, but the timing of the birds building the nest was when we conceived our son after the loss of our other. We found out we were pregnant the day a single baby bird peeked his head out of the nest. And the day it flew away also had a special significance. Ours were sparrows.

God's love for us just overwhelms me. Reading your story, just affirms that our birdie visit was no accident. That His "signs and wonders" didn't end with Old Testament accounts, but continue today on the front porches of our homes. Oh, He loves us so.

Thanks also for your sweet comments on my blog. It is apparent that your years of gardening have paid off and there is much blooming in your family garden.

God bless your sweet nest!

Much Love,
Kathie

Sarah said...

The sparrows chose our tree this year as well! We are loving it.

TIna, I wanted to thank you for being a part of my first year of blogging! What a wonderful year it has been. I'm throwing a little party and as an honored guest, I would love for you to stop by and share a highlight of your year with all of us.

http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2010/04/cactus-happy.html

Cactus Happy,
Sara

Taylor and Frankie Rodriguez said...

Oh those sweet five baby birds! There is no denying that God is in the details!
On another note, aren't you glad that I married a bird?! Frankie the Duck, aka Pato! And the two ducks on our wedding day!!!!! I guess I'm a duck now, too! Imagine that...a little bird grown up to be a duck! ;)
LOL!
Love you momma bird :)
<3 TR