Monday, April 19, 2010

Memorial Box Monday ~ 112 W. Park

For a full scoop on MBM, see this post.

You can also visit Linny, creator of MBM,
@ A Place called Simplicity, here.

Memorial Box Monday ~ 112 W. Park

In July 0f 2002, our family returned to the U.S. after a three year tour in Okinawa, Japan. Our next assignment would be taking us to San Antonio, Texas. Before heading for Texas we took leave in Michigan, to spend time with our families. It was a wonderful time of catching up with loved ones after having lived so very far away. After two weeks or so of vacation, Bryan headed to San Antonio to "house hunt" and to begin his new job. The kids and I stayed behind in Michigan to soak up a little more summer, and to give Bryan time to preview houses.

Each evening Bry would call to check in. We didn't have the convenience of cell phones yet, so there were no hourly updates, no text messaging, and no "play by play" as Bry looked at house . . .after house . . . after house with the realtor.

We had been praying all along that the Lord would lead us where He wanted us. Yet, each day, Bry's house hunting report was the same-- too much money for the size . . . too crammed together with the neighboring houses . . . good price-- but needs too much work . . . not a good neighborhood . . . not a good drive to work . . . school system less than desirable. So it went for several tiring days, with each day being a little more frustrating than the day before.

At the end of the week, at the end of yet another phone update, there were still no houses on the maybe list. I prayed with Bry, "Lord, we KNOW that You have a neighborhood for us, we know that You have a house, will you please show us where it's at?"

Bry replied, "I need a sign. I need a really big sign."

I added to our prayer, "Lord, would you please give us a really big sign?"

The next day, Bry called again. "How would you feel about living in a small town, about 30 miles south of San Antonio?" (He went on to say that it was about the size of the Michigan town we had both grown up in-- pop. 4,000)

My immediate reponse was, "What is the name of the town?" Looking back, this question seems a little odd, since I really didn't know any small Texas towns. Nevertheless, that is the first thing that came out of my mouth.

Bry's answer?

"Devine"

"Divine?" (insert silent gulp)

Yes, with an "e".

"Uh, Bry, I think that might be our sign. Our really big sign."

And so it was that 112 West Park, in Devine, Texas, became our home for the next three years. You can't tell by the picture, but it was a sprawling house, with a very large addition that went off the back of the 70 year old original home. It had four bedrooms, two baths, a huge living room/dining room, and a game room that by itself was nearly the size of other homes we have lived in--no kidding.

It also had an overgrown back yard (that had been used as a horse pasture, yes-- in town), red shag carpet in the master bedroom, 70's wallpaper in the kitchen (and it was not vintage cute, I assure you), a sinking floor in the game room, a slowly falling ceiling in the living room --and other interesting quirks. Along with the horse outside, there had been several pets living inside, including cats--which means when we did our final walk through, my eyes swelled nearly shut. Nice.

Every small Texas town has a Dairy* Queen. Really they do. Just ask anyone from Texas. Of course this was where we went to celebrate our new home. Let's just say, at that point, I was finding the whole scenario less than divine. I went in the bathroom of Dairy* Queen, and. I. cried. Oh, yes I did.

It got better. Much better.

I prayed that the Lord would put anything, anything under that red-shag-allergy-laden-carpet, in the master bedroom. It was going to have to come out immediately. I walked in the house, our house now, pulled back a corner of the carpet . . . and shouted for JOY! Gorgeous hard wood floors. Divine!

My dad and step-mom came to visit from Michigan. They had the awful wallpaper down in no time! Cheery yellow paint nicely covered the old walls, and many other small jobs were taken care of too-- by my carpenter daddy! My in-laws came to visit and my mother-in-law made it her task to spend countless hours on a tall ladder removing a very girlie wallpaper boarder (again--horses) from Brady's room. My father-in-law completed many of the "honey-do" jobs, and beautifully rebuilt the backyard fence, as a surprise. Divine. The Lord provided someone from our new church to redo the falling ceiling, for a very good price!

The house that I had cried over, quickly became our comfortable home, and Devine became a place where precious memories would be made. There was my first driver-- Bryce, along with his first car. Small town homecomings, and proms. A big promotion for Bryan was celebrated at this address . . .

Our special delivery, Brogan, came home to Devine.


Bryce graduated high school in Devine.


and in the same graduating class with Bryce,

was a Devine native,

known as Frankie . . .

and now known as my son-in-law!

We now have forever ties, to that little Texas town.

Into our Memorial Box, will go a picture of the sign that you see when you drive into town. I need to have the Newly's take a pic, the next time they go. For now I will leave you with the words from the town website-- they read the same as the sign . . .


As we go through this life, things happen, times change, decisions have to be made . . .

Thank you Lord, that when we come to these crossroads of life, and we ask for You to give us a sign of direction, a really big sign, You answer!

Blessings from my nest ~

Tina

~ After three years in Devine, we were transferred to a base in Florida (and sold our Devine house--another God story). Two years later, Bryan received a new assignment back to Texas, this time at a different base, on the northeast corner of San Antonio. For now, we are happily living in base housing-- there is no red shag carpeting, but there are hard wood floors. For that I am grateful!

12 comments:

Vivian said...

Wow Friend!
Amazing story! Love the pictures of little man with you all! He was so tiny! Now look what a big guy he's becoming! And Taye and Frankie... precious!
God is good!
Love you,
Alycia

Sarah said...

Love this story, Tina! I'm sure that you have a lot of moving stories, being a military family. God was definitely in this story!

Blessings,
Sarah

Patientlywaiting said...

I knew you had lived in Devine but I don't think I ever heard the story about how it came to be. I love how God worked His "divine" intervention for your family!

Hugs,
Robin

Francisco Z Rodriguez said...

That's funny I was praying for ya too! Well Taylor, but I got a whole lot more... :) I loved your house in Devine, it was perfect for watching baseball games and walking to the movie shop. It was nice hearing about all the projects that it took to make it home. If I could buy it I would open shop in the game room/Bryce's room(My own design study). Glad you came back to Texas!

FZ

Mom to 5 bugs said...

I knew of the house, but didn't know the story. Thanks for sharing! Boy, do I miss those hardwood floors in base housing! (:
(And the sunshine and the heat and the neighborhood and my dear friends and the church and Target*.....)
But God provides every time and life is good here.
Miss you!
M

Mom to 5 bugs said...

OK, just jumped to Tay and Frankie's blog and saw that Brady's moving to Washington!?!?!?! Fill me in, girlfriend..what's he doing?
M

Karin said...

What's wrong with red shag carpet?! giggle... :) Love the story! It's so cool how God speaks to us in so many unusual ways.

My heart gift was waiting for me when we returned from FL today! Thank you so much! It's beautiful!

Kat said...

As a past military wife (still a wife, just not in the military :)) I can TOTALLY relate. I LOVE the red shag carpet...lol! God is just so neat to leave us signs...this one very literal :).

Renee said...

Your story today has me shedding tears of joy ~ not just for how God directed you...but for how he is using your story to talk to me. We are at a crossroads in our lives ~ very close to retirement with both of us challenged by Lyme Disease and me recovering from uterine cancer surgery. We have "special needs" to consider. We have no clue where to retire...lots of desires...but no real answer. We have been praying, BUT today with your story I realized we need to ask God for a sign..it is like He is saying...I am waiting for you to ask!!! I am excited to see what will come!
God bless....and thank you for sharing this...it has touched me today and I am going to call my hubby right now and share it with him too!

rarejule said...

A little house became such a lovely home... blessings abound!

Katie said...

My parents live in Comfort, Texas, which is about 40 miles away from San Antonio. The names of those towns are so sweet:).

I love your story!

Mom Of Many said...

Oh my sweet friend,

I LOVE house stories...they are such extensions of ourselves - and your little Devine home looks absolutely cozy and homey....so beautiful....{minus the not-so-cute wallpaper and red shag carpet}...and I LOVE the American flag hanging ....thank you to you and Bry for your sacrifices...love you bunches...

xo