Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day, from Michigan

Greetings from the road! We left San Antonio on Thursday evening and headed north-- Bryan and I, the Littles, and big sister Taylor. We drove straight through on Thursday night, and reached St. Louis area by dinnertime on Friday . . . just in time to meet up with our dear friends (and former neighbors) the Haines Gang. Robin and Gary and kids, recently re-located from Alabama to Illinois. We hadn't seen them since they moved from Texas a year ago. Their sweet Claire came home just after Teddi did in 2008, and just three months ago they added a precious two year old, Caleb, to their family. What a joy it was to see Teddi and Claire together again, and to meet Caleb. (Oh the cuteness! I'm having technical difficulties with my camera, or I would share that cuteness with you). It was wonderful to spend time with old friends. What a blessing that the Lord orchestrated our travel and our meeting together perfectly!

We spent Friday night in Illinois, and traveled on to my sister's home in Michigan on Saturday. The kids are having a wonderful time with cousins (big and small) and we're looking forward to seeing the rest of our extended family in the coming days. On Saturday we will celebrate Bryan's parent's 50th wedding anniversary with them, and the following Saturday we will attend Bry's 30th class reunion. Yikes! Are we really that old? In between we will relax, and eat, and laugh, and eat some more . . . and laugh some more . . . and just soak up this special time with the ones we love the most!

I am missing my big boys, and remembering family vacations when they were both along. Time has a way of moving on, and kids have a way of growing up. I'm thankful for all of the good times and happy memories . . . but I still miss my boys. I'm thankful to Frankie for sharing Taylor with us for this trip.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to get some pictures up. For now I thought I would share this old favorite of my Flit, newly home from China, celebrating her first 4th of July. A free bird, flying high . . .


I'm thankful for the freedoms we enjoy as one nation under God. I'm thankful for those who have served, and for those who have given their lives to defend our freedom. I'm thankful for those who currently serve, including my husband and my son. And I'm thoughtful of the men and women who are in harms way defending our freedom, and of the families who await their safe return.

Lord thank you for the freedoms we enjoy. Thank you for the privilege of living in this blessed nation. Thank you Lord most of all, that because of Jesus, I am FREE!

Blessings from my traveling nest ~

Tina

5 comments:

Mom Of Many said...

Awww....you are with your family there...makes me miss my cousins in NY....hard being apart - and I know you know what I mean by that!

The big kids not being with you...I remember the first years when Abigail and Tyler moved along....ugh...just no fun!

Praying for your trip, that you are filled up "real good" with times of refreshment and joy...

Love you sweet friend! And thank you for the picture the other day...so fun....almost made me feel like I was with you and Robin!

xo

Serving the King said...

Too funny! It's such a small Air Force! I met Gary and Robin when our sons were on the same Upward basketball team. Sweet, sweet family! Sounds like such fun vacation, happy 4th!

Patientlywaiting said...

I am so glad that you made it safely to Michigan! I am also glad that it worked out for us to meet for dinner! It was so great to see you again. Oh how I have missed you as our neighbor. Claire is still talking about seeing Teddi and Brogan! Have fun with family!

Love,
Robin

Karin said...

I now know what you mean about missing the big kids. Missed my soldier so much on his birthday, the 4th of July. Hope you have a wonderful time in MI!! What a precious privilege to have a family!

Sarah said...

Have a wonderful time with your family!

Such a sweet picture of precious Teddi.

Blessings,
Sarah