Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Did You Pick Me?

My precious girl turned around from looking at herself in the mirror this morning and spoke those words . . .

"Did you pick me?"

Whoa.

We were five minutes from heading out the door for school, in a bit of a last minute race . . . Ted had stopped in front of the full length mirror in my bedroom to do her daily "loose tooth check". And then she turned around . . .

Beautiful almond eyes turned upward, looking at her mama, waiting for an answer.


I repeated what I thought she'd said, while quickly fumbling though my morning rush brain, for an answer.

"Did I pick you?"

"Yes," she answered.

"God picked you for us." I told her. "We were waiting for you, and you were waiting for us-- and I'm so glad He made us a family."



I was not prepared for her question. I answered the best I could. I truly do believe that although we made the choice to ask for Teddi's information, God did the "picking" way ahead of time. He brought us together. Her story proves it again and again. He is the one who would confirm Teddi by name, every single time I prayed-- for eight long years. He is the one who gave me her name to begin with. Theadora: "Gift of God." He was the one who was smiling (I'm sure) on the day that we met our girl-- when she arrived not in the pink Chinese silks I was expecting, but in a ruffled pink skirt, and a tiny denim shirt with a teddy bear embroidered on the collar. God indeed "picked" Teddi, and He proved it that day. (Teddi's full story is linked from my sidebar.)


As I sit here tonight pondering Teddi's question, I have to put myself in her shoes . . . and the thought of that hurts. Teddi knows that she was in an orphanage in "her China". She knows that when she was three years old we came for her. She knows that she left with her family, and others stayed behind. I know for a fact that she also saw close friends leave ahead of her.

Can you imagine wondering if you were "picked"?


I can't get my arms around that thought.

You watch as others leave ahead of you--they've obviously been picked. Your big day finally comes, you meet your family-- you've been picked. Yet you leave friends behind, who sadly have not been picked.

How does a five year old put all of that together?


"Did you pick me?"

This isn't a game of kickball. It's real life.


Life in an orphanage.

Or life with a family . . .

because you got picked.

Life with the common sir name given to everyone in your orphanage.

Or life with a sir name that says you belong. A name that makes you a part of a bigger story, the story of a family . . .

because you got picked.


Yes, God picked Teddi. He puts the lonely in families.




Yet so many wait, and while they wait God is waiting.

He's waiting on us to say "Yes Lord. Pick one for me."

He's waiting on us to say, "Yes. I will support the orphans while they wait."

He's waiting on us to say, "Yes. I will cheerfully give to a family's fundraiser." As that family trusts with everything in them that He will provide the finances they need for their adoption.

He's waiting on us to pray for the orphans of this world.

He's waiting on us to pray for, and to help the 400,000 plus kids in foster care in our own country.

He's waiting on us to do something.


There are more than enough capable people in this world to solve the orphan crisis.

Oh that we would be His hands and feet . . .

That we would obey His command to look after the widows and orphans.

So many wait to be picked . . .


and this is not a kickball game.

It is real life.



Blessings from my nest ~

Tina

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Tina, your sweet words bring a tear to my eyes yet again. We just had a conversation tonight about those that weren't picked and missing a friend, but being so happy to have a mommy and daddy. I pray God opens hearts over the next few weeks during this month that we focus on adoption. Yes, this is certainly real life and not a game and my heart breaks to know how many sweet ones are not getting picked. What a precious girl Teddi is!

Carissa said...

I am going to quote your blog, if you don't mind, in my campaign for Reece's Rainbow kids this month. I love reading about your Teddi, she reminds me of my Autumn. So thoughtful and introspective. Coming up with such innocent yet difficult questions that she has a serious curiosity about. Autie is 6 yrs old, so they are also about the same age. :)

Vivian said...

Whoa!
Heavy question from Teddi!
Great, God-given answer my friend.
He did indeed pick you to be Teddi's family!
Praying that more will asked to be picked!
Love you,
Alycia

Addie Talley, Photographer said...

what a sweet post - Im all teary-eyed now

Tracey said...

Awesome post! Their hearts and their minds are so wise for their years. So so many wait but just seeing all those going "home" last week brings hope that many others will follow. Praying that they all get picked each and every day.

Anonymous said...

I linked to this post on my blog today. This brought tears to my eyes. I can't even imagine a 5 year old having to know what being "picked" really means :(

ashleypmo said...

So beautiful, so bittersweet. Thanks for sharing!

Bonnie said...

Your sweet daughter echoed not only her heart but ours as God's children. He has adopted us, picked us, to love and be His own. We think we have picked Him..but I believe He has, in the grand scheme of things, picked us..
You have given me much to think on Tina.
I will trust the One Who picked me to bring my heart into obedience to His will.
Love you friend!
Bonnie

Natalie said...

Okay, that definitely made me cry. I hope you don't mind, but I linked to this post from my blog. You just said it so much better than I ever could.

http://martins-hope.blogspot.com/2010/11/did-you-pick-me.html

Sarah said...

Oh, sweet Teddi...you are SO LOVED! Praying that many other families give God the opportunity to pick a precious little boy or girl for their family.

Blessings to you, friend.
Sarah

The Ferrill's said...

TEARS, Tina.
you nailed it, sister.
When we adopted K & Q, we bought them bears that say "I'm Chosen". Because they are chosen by God. They have yet to voice those questions deep in their hearts, but I know they will come one day soon.
This was beautifully written! May it inspire us to obey!

Monica said...

Tears again, Tina. Your poignant words and Teddi's profound questions / statements move me so much. I wonder if and when Ren will begin to verbalize his feelings and questions about his adoption. It's already begun with Claire but I know it'll be different with Ren for many reasons, one of which is the age at which he came home.

Thank you for sharing.

jennifer said...

Wow! What an amazing post! I think your answer was the best possible answer. I think it's important that these children know that their steps were "ordered by the Lord", and that he has a plan for their life.

Patientlywaiting said...

Tina,

I never commented on this post but I have to tell you this post left me thinking for days. I wonder if Claire has these thoughts and just can't verbalize them to us? Just like God picked Teddi for your family, I know without a doubt that God picked Claire for ours. So thankful that God brought our families together.

Hugs,
Robin