Monday, November 15, 2010

Down For The Count . . . (Edited)

*Just wanted to let everyone know that I heard back from Love Without Boundaries yesterday, and they published their 2010 Gift Guide this past weekend! As I mentioned below, it's a great shopping opportunity.

On the homefront . . . I'm beginning to regain my strength and am doing a relaxed version of homeschooling with Brogie today-- from the couch. Thanks so much for your prayers! T.


Whew! So I caught a bug about ten days ago. I battled it on my own for the first few days, until it decided to take me down . . . waaaaay down. As in pneumonia down. Down for the count, down. As in get to the doctor, and then get familiar with your couch . . . a blankie . . . antibiotics . . .mucinex (good stuff) . . . cough drops . . . and the tylenol with codeine. Stumble to the potty . . . stumble back to the couch . . . that kinda down. I'm fighting back, but I'm not there yet. Thankfully my sweet husband was not out of town, or country--and was able to keep the ship running. The Littles have been fighting their own battles, Brogan--The Mean Cough, and Ted-- The Cough, with a bout of Stomach Bug thrown in. We had one night that was a three ring circus, I'll save you the details. It's been a tough week . . .


That said, and wanting to get a post up, I decided to do a re-post from last November--with a little tweaking. If you read it, make sure to go all the way to the end--I copied and pasted the comments up, and there is some really, really good stuff! I have edited the giveaway part, because of course the giveaway already took place . . . BUT, my next post is my 350th post, and there will be a giveaway--along with a chance to give . . . stay tuned . . .

* * * * * *


Doing Things Differently --and a Giveaway (Novemeber 2009)


When Advent Conspiracy was brought to our family's attention last year, we decided it was time for a change in the way we did Christmas. We did some simplifying (okay, a lot of simplifying), and we spent our money differently. Very differently. I would like to take it a step further this year, but am still figuring out how that will look.

We halted the extended family gift exchange on my side a few years ago, and instead have come up with more creative ways to celebrate the season . . . a white elephant exchange is great fun, costs little (or nothing if you recycle an item from home) and brings lots of laughs! We all then use the money we would be spending on each other, to do things like filling our shoe boxes for orphans.


Last year for Bryan's side of the family we "shopped" from the World Vision Catalogue, choosing items that we knew would be meaningful to each family member. Things like a donation to "Education for Girls" for my mother-in-law, a retired teacher. A donation towards stocking part of a fish pond, for Grandpa . . . medical supplies for my sis-in-law, who is an RN. We also purchased water through Charity Water in honor of my parents-- a life giving gift to those in need, in honor of the people who gave me life! It's truly a win, win situation.

A little plug for Charity: water, if you are unfamiliar -- Private sponsors support all of their administrative costs, so 100% of the donation you make goes straight to building wells. One-hundred percent. That's as good as it gets.



Last year we also started a new tradition for the Littles, a full blown birthday party for Jesus on Christmas Eve. We made a donation to Charity Water for our gift.



As a visual for Brogan and Teddi we brought a bottle of water to the party for Jesus --explaining to them that when we do this for Jesus we are really doing it for other people who really, really need water. Water = Life, I think that it's the perfect gift for Jesus--it's exactly what He gave us. His life.



I think this year, for Jesus, we will make a donation to the orphan babies at Bill and Lynsay's Morning Star Foundation, to enable them to keep loving on His littlest lambs.


Another great idea -- Taylor and Frankie have asked for TOMS Shoes for Christmas. (Although Taye has told me all they really want is water.) If you aren't familiar with TOMS -- for every pair of shoes you purchase, TOMS sends a pair of shoes to a child in need. "One for one. Using the purchasing powers of individuals to benefit the greater good." They have put shoes on the feet of thousands upon thousands of children. You can read the TOMS story here. I love it!




Keep reading, there really is going to be a giveaway . . .

Another idea I'm pondering is teachers gifts. How much Bath & Body*works, coffee mugs, or chocolate can one teacher need, or use? I just had an email from Love Without Boundaries about their 2009 gift guide. Edit: It's in! You can see the 2010 gift guide here! For a $10 donation you can purchase a school backpack for a Chinese orphan. I think that would be a great "teacher gift", don't you? For a $20 donation you can purchase 10 cleft bottles. A cleft bottle can be the difference between life and death for a cleft affected baby who has no ability to suck. I think cleft bottles would be the perfect "gift" for Teddi's speech therapists. I will let Teddi make cards announcing the gifts purchased in her teachers/therapists honor. I can't think of a better reason not to buy chocolate!


I would love for you to share with me the ways you and your family already do things differently, or plan to do things differently during this fast approaching Christmas season. In fact I have a sweet little bracelet . . .
Edit: This is where the giveaway bracelet was. . . and below was how to enter (which is why you don't want to miss the comments.)
So if you would like a chance to win this sweet little bracelet, just leave me a comment telling me one thing you already do differently, or at least one thing you plan to do differently this year. I will draw a name sometime after Thanksgiving!
Edit: I'll be back, with a new bracelet for a new cause--as soon as I gather my thoughts, and gain enough strength to come back to my desk!

Blessings from my nest~

Tina

*If you haven't seen this Advent Conspiracy video (2009) watch it and be inspired, if you have seen it, watch it and be re-inspired! And be sure to read last years comments, they are g-o-o-d! (I know this is a long post, but I haven't posted in a week--so pretend it's really two . . . or three posts!) xo

Worship Fully
Spend Less
Give More
Love All



Last years comments:
Joy said...

Our church has an alternative giving display set up in the foyer and is encouraging everyone to rethink gift giving this year. There are 10 or so organizations represented on the tables. We have yet to choose one.

On the homefront, the girls will receive coloring supplies in their stockings and some clothes under the tree. We have cut WAY back this year.

Joy

Jenn said...

Yay!! I love it!!! Last year we donated to the Samaritan's Purse. It was perfect because they had a gift that you could give to help an orphan with poor eyesight. This was our gift to our extended family members. I don't see it this year. We have definitely made it a part of our tradition though!! To give donations in lieu of gifts we don't need anyway.

Franciscozrodriguez said...

Instead of buying big gifts this year Taylor and I are taking the money and buying gifts from CHF's Menu to give with home made small personal gifts for everyone.

(Not sure if I can enter since I was in your post but I thought I would try ;) )

Taylor and Frankie Rodriguez said...

I LOVE the cleft bottle gift!! That is just too cool and so meaningful!
No wonder that I have to ponder so little to know where I get my creativity and my joy of giving from! Thanks, mom!
Love you!
Taylor

Talley Images said...

One thing that we try to do to simplify gift-giving to our kids (and help to remind us not to go overboard) is to buy this way:
-something to wear
-something to read
-something you want
-something you need
*and a few small stocking stuffers

Along with this... instead of getting alot of other family stuff, we instead are getting things that we can do together... sort of "buying time with each other" as the present
- we found some board games on sale, and we are getting memberships to the zoo and a few museums - this way when we have a free weekend next year, our trip is already paid for (love saving future money!)

I have been hit hard by conviction over all the "stuff" in my life even moreso this year... definitely trying to simplify and get my kids on the right track as well

great post!

Patientlywaiting said...

I love this Tina! I love the Charity water idea. Gary and I are leaning toward buying water for our parents. I am also going to pay for an echocardiogram through LWB for our adopted Grandparents in San Antonio. Barbara has a bad heart and I know she would love knowing that an orphan is getting the care that they need for their heart!

Hugs,
Robin

David and Sarah said...

Great post, Tina!

We try to keep the focus on Jesus as much as possible (rather than presents). One (small) thing that we do is to have a set aside time to read in the evenings in December. Last year we read Jotham's Journey. The kids loved it!

We also try to focus our family prayer time more. One good book for adults and older children is Advent and Christmas Wisdom from Henri Nouwen.

We've also enjoyed giving alternative gifts--a backpack through Voice of the Martyrs, a Christmas gift to our sponsored children through Comapassion, chicks through The Heiffer Project, etc.

Thanks for the ideas! Many blessings to you, friend.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
One of our favorite things is to give 3 gifts to the children just as Baby Jesus received 3 gifts. Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh. We also love the operation shoebox, toys for tots, anything for the many troops, and a coat drive as we grew up in MI and now live in NJ and cannot stand to see anyone cold!!! Thanks for the many new ideas we are hearing about!! Love, Karen

AlyAbox said...

Hi Friend!
Thanks for the reminder to comment! I have been a bit busy lately with everything going on around here.

One thing that we are doing differently... hmmm... this year we sent gifts to a little orphan girl in Ch*na through Operation Giggle, as well as sending one to our own sweet daughter who is waiting over there.
We are also giving a goat, duck or chickens to my mom through World Vision or Heifer International. I like the water idea though, will have to look into that.

For the girls, we decided that doing something together as a family, was more important that more "stuff". We will be on vacation immediately following Christmas for a few days. We will have stockings only this year.

Bless you my friend!
Love,
Alycia

The Spicer Family said...

Instead of finding gifts from the mall or whatnot for the adults in our family, this year they are getting ornaments from Reece's Rainbow!! www.reecesrainbow.org

As one of my sisters-in-law says, my girls with Down Syndrome are the heart of our family so I know they will love being a part of finding families for other little ones with DS!!


Jill

Jennifer O'Cain said...

For Teachers gifts we do Samaritan's Purse. Usually donating to educate a child for school teachers and donate to a baby for preschool teachers.

For extended family we stopped gift giving and instead collect food for our local foodbank and have an appetizer contest with a prize. It is so fun and the kids love to see how much food we can collect.

Thanks for this post, I am getting some new ideas!



6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Tina, I am so sorry that you have been sick. I had pneumonia three years ago, and it was REALLY rough. Some friends from our church came over to pray for me and I experienced incredible healing! I'm praying the same for you.


Blessings,
Sarah

Karin said...

Ugh...so sorry to hear you have been so sick. :( Thankful your hubby can help out, though. Hope you are able to get the rest you need and are back on your feet again soon. wonderful suggestions you had for gifts this Christmas!!

Vivian said...

Oh my sweet friend! I hope that you feel better SOON! Praying for you all!
We're coming your way next weekend. Will pray you better before then. I really want to hug your neck and introduce you to our Adahlyn.
Much love,
Alycia

Amy said...

Geez, Tina, here you are blessing us all from your sick bed! The ideas in this post are full of The Spirit...just like you, precious friend! Thank you for sharing!

Praying that you and your littles are well very soon (and that hubby stays healthy --- so glad he has been home to care for you all)!

Much Love and (((Big Hugs)))...
Ame

Patientlywaiting said...

Tina,

So sorry to hear that you have been sick. That is no fun especially when you are homeschooling Texas' cutest 1st grader! Praying you are back on your feet soon! Let me know what you find out about LWB gift guide. Thanks!

Love you girl,
Robin

Mom to 5 bugs said...

T~
Sorry to hear you're so under the weather! Hope you are back on your feet again soon.
Did I miss something? When did you start homeschooling Brogie?
Loved your last post about Ted. K told me a while back that she was glad she picked us. Rather than give her all the details of that tumultuous time, I just said, "yea, me too." It feels good to be "picked".
Love you dear friend,
M