On January 18th, 1964, the eve of my very first birthday I received a gift. The gift weighed in at just under eight pounds, but the impact that she would have on my life would be immeasurable.
The gift was a sister.
She rocked my world, and for the past 48 years she has continued to rock my world. In a good way. Mostly. If you are blessed to have a sister you know exactly what I mean. We have two younger brothers, but we are each others only.
She is the only one I shared a bedroom with, from birth until the day I got married. From side by side cribs . . . to a double bed . . . to bunk beds {she was bottom, I was top}. She was the only one who knew our secret singing game. She is the only one who could make me madder than anything by wearing my clothes without asking. She is the only one who thought it was cool to wear matching shirts, even in junior high. She is the only one I shared a pajama drawer with. She is the only one who
played dolls with me for hours . . . for years. She is the only one who fought me for bathroom space, daily. She was the loud to my quiet. The fast to my slow. She was the messy to my neat. My ever present fan and foe.
She is my constant support, even if it's from thousands of miles away . . . even if we go weeks without hearing each other's voice. Our hearts are bound. We've shared the highest joys and we've shared hard things that have made us stronger in the end. We think alike. We like the same things.
We love nothing better than to escape it all and run of to a Goodwill together-- and then follow the bargain hunting up with a McD's cheeseburger and sweet tea. We are that easy to make happy, together. She has prayed more prayers for me than could be counted. We rejoice together and we cry each others tears. We are sisters. We laugh hysterically {at things that aren't even funny}, we make each other mad, and we crack each other up again. If you know my sister, you know laughter. It is true.
Thank you mom, for my very first birthday gift.
You did good.
Ame, I love you. Through the ups and downs. The fun stuff and the tough stuff. Together or apart.
Happy Birthday sweet Sis.
You are my favorite gift.
"For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands."
-- Christina Rossetti
Blessings from my thankful nest~
Tina










7 comments:
Happy, happy birthday! Every year, your birthday post to your sister makes me cry! What a gift to share your special day with such a special sister.
Oh my goodness, that is the sweetest post over. I am in tears. I LOOOVE this. I was born on my Mom's b-day, and so I am so used to hearing that I was her favorite gift....but hearing the way you write about your sister being your favorite gift, and then thanking your mom....OH MY GOODNESS, the tears. :) Beautiful.
And Happy birthday!!!!!!!!
Happy, happy birthday sweet friend!
i miss you very much!
You are a blessing to me.
love you,
Alycia
Happy Happy Birthday Dear Friend! So wish we could be there with you! Thinking fondly of happy times we enjoyed together and missing you! (:
Very nice. I know you and I know Amy. This birthday story is true to the last letter.
I think of both of you often and always pray that you are all well, and it sounds like it is.
Happy birthday to you Tina. The grace and love that sisters bring to us are amazing. I know that too.
PS: The cracking up and cracking up again was my favorite line about Amy.
Love,
Crysti
Happy Belated Birthday to you both. Thank you for being a part of my journey to my daughter. God Bless
Love when you write! You are so gifted and my heart is always moved. Love you sweet friend - and happy birthday! xo
Post a Comment