Thursday, May 10, 2012

Enchanted Rock!

Back in January, on President's Day to be exact, we took a little road trip to the Texas Hill Country to pay a visit to the Enchanted Rock State Natural Area.  Yes, I said January, remember that blogging strike I was on?


Texas State Park's website gives this description, "The Rock is a huge, pink granite exfoliation dome, that rises 425 feet above ground, 1825 feet above sea level, and covers 640 acres.  It is one of the largest batholiths (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion) in the United States."

Incidentally, I had no idea what a batholith was until a few minutes ago when I googled "Enchanted Rock"-- I guess I should have read that before our visit. 

I'm here now to tell you this is one impressive batholith!


I enlarged this photo in hopes that you can tell the scale of this massive chunk of granite. Do you see the teensy tinsy people on the top?  It's big.  Real big.

Walk this way . . .

over the river . . .
and the rocks . . .
here we go!
Smile for the dad cam . . . 

and the mom cam.
Onward!
The granite was beautiful,

as was the scenery!

Part way up . . .
climb, climb, climb . . .
and climb some more.
Taking a breather, almost up
such a gorgeous view!
There are a couple of cool little 
"oases" that have formed in some small craters.
On the top!
We did it!

The view looking down the other side--
a beautiful slice of Texas that we don't see
from San Antonio!
On to the important things like lunch on the rock!
(It was really windy up there!)
Brogan's "freefall" pose.
Daddy and Brogan walked part way
down the opposite side,
to a small cave--
(down in that little valley below).
Mom and Teddi rested at the top. . . 

and watched the guys . . .
hike down . . . and back up!

Then we headed back down the front side, together.

Dad and the littles thought it would be fun to 
try and give this rock a little push.
It was a no go, but a good effort!

Breathtaking creation . . .

fun memories . . .

beautiful day!

The LORD liveth; and blessed be the rock;
and let the God of my salvation
be exalted." 
--Psalm 18:46

Blessings from my nest ~

Tina

No comments: