Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day!

How blessed I am to have grown up with a daddy who modeled unconditional love.  It is a gift I don't take lightly, and one that helps me to understand the depth of my Heavenly Father's love for me!


I grew up secure in the knowledge that I was loved.  My daddy told me I was pretty . . . that I was smart .  . . that I looked good in the color yellow (funny how that sticks with me after all these years).  I can remember him carrying me in from the car, having fallen asleep on a late drive home from my grandma's house . . . my head nestled on his broad shoulder, safe in strong arms. He loved me, and I knew it.  A daddy who loves like that is a priceless treasure.  Thank you, dad.

I am blessed to have a father-in-love who looks out for us and who takes care of the things we need help with --along with my own daddy.  Who gives great bear hugs, and laughs heartily.  He loves his family-- is rough and tough on the outside, but is a total softy when it comes to his heartstrings.  Thank you Bruce, for loving me like your own for all these years.

On this day to honor fathers I am grateful for my true love, who is celebrating his 26th year as a father.


Together we have been young parents, parents of busy school age kids, parents of teens, parents of three teens and a baby, parents of young adults, a high schooler and preschoolers, and now--older and wiser parents of independent young adults and two quickly growing littles.


God has been good to us and has filled our nest to 
overflowing, to include a son-in-love,


 a brand new daughter-in-love . . . 


and a grand-birdie on the way.  Such sweetness.


Bry, I am beyond proud of the "dad standard" that you set a very long time ago.  You have never failed to hold yourself to that high standard.


 It hasn't always been easy (like hardly ever), and many times your job (or more recently, kids on the move) has dictated that you parent from afar, but that has never changed your commitment to our children. I am grateful for the example that you have set for our bigs,

and I am ever thankful for the way you keep up with the littles, even when I know work has exhausted you.  Thank you babe, for running this parenting marathon with me, the uphills and the downhills . . . I love being on your team.


Lastly, Happy Father's Day to my heavenly Father from whom every one of these perfect gifts has come.  What a joy to know that I am forever His child, that He never leaves my side, always has my back, and that He delights in me!  Did you know that I am His favorite one--and so are you?  It's true!  He loves us so.

Thank you Abba Father that when we call on your name you adopt us as sons and daughters.  You choose us, simply because you love us that much. Your love for us is not dependent on what we do or don't do, but it is an unconditional, immeasurable, wrap-Your-strong-arms-around-us-and-never-let-us-go love.  Thank you for being the perfect Father, always.  What a privilege.  


Happy Father's Day!


Blessings from my nest ~

Tina

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Amen! Thank you Father! And Happy Father's Day to the special dads in your life.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder in the last paragraph. So well said. You are very blessed indeed!:)