Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Little Bird's Bad Landing

In all my 24 years of parenting we have never owned a coffee table. Ever. I've always thought they took up too much space (especially in cozy military housing), that they called clutter to "come sit" . . . and I've always thought that they were accidents waiting to happen--especially when sharing a space occupied by children.

Well a couple of months ago, I saw this sweet little table at the thrift store; for the fine asking price of twelve dollars. I thought it would be perfect in the kids new playroom, to set Teddi's dollhouse on . . .

I didn't see it as taking up too much space, because it was going into a big (used to be Brady's bedroom) playroom. I didn't see it as a clutter collector, because I already had a plan for the top of it! And for whatever reason, I failed to recognize its "accident waiting to happen" characteristics . . .

Until yesterday evening, as I was fixing dinner, and Brogan and Sam (our neighbor friend) came running, and yelling, "She's bleeeeeeeding"! Words a mama does not want to hear. Little bird had taken flight, and had met the table, with her noggin. The "accident waiting to happen" table.

Thankfully daddy had just gotten home from work, because mama would not have handled the "bad landing" very well on her own. Brogie went home with Sam (thank you Lord for precious neighbors), and we headed for the emergency room with our brave girl.

They cleaned her up, and checked her out,

and then we waited . . .

and waited . . .

for our turn.

Five hours later, they took us back.

They used topical lidocaine to numb the area . . .


and at midnight it was finally our turn with the doctor. Look at our little bird's smile-- this is the reason even the nannies at her orphanage called our Xiao Xiao, their "happy girl".

Midnight. Waiting for stitches. Smiling.

Stitches done, 1:00 a.m.
a purple popsicle . . .

still smiling.


I'm sorry about the coffee table Ted.

I don't know what I was thinking.

I love you brave and happy, stitched up girl.

Blessings from my thankful it wasn't worse nest ~

Tina


~ I promise, the next post will be of my new little loves in Michigan.


10 comments:

Taylor and Frankie Rodriguez said...

So proud of that smiling little face! You go Ted!
T

Karin said...

Oh how I know about those tables and late night ER visits. I'm glad your little bird is doing well and was so brave through it all.

Jessica Kok said...

Silly girl! While your mommy may call you her little bird, you are not in actuality a bird! ;) Glad you're okay.
What's up with popsicle in hospitals? Pieter got that too last year. Popsicle and juice. He said he wanted to go back!
So, how about a move to DC? Your posts always make me miss you guys.

Serving the King said...

5 hours?!!! UGH!!!! That is crazy sauce! I'm with ya on the coffee table's, they are like magnets for little heads....well, that and we too are often in that "cozy" military housing. ;) Glad she's ok, bless her little heart!!

Tracey said...

Poor Teddi! She just takes it all in stride tho...gotta love that smile!

Jenn said...

Oh sweet baby!!! Don't you hate that!! :( What a trooper she is though!

Patientlywaiting said...

I love her smile even after 5 hours in the ER! What a brave, brave girl! She almost looks proud of her stitches!

Hugs,
Robin

Francisco Z Rodriguez said...

Oh Teddi, now we match. I wonder if I have any pictures of my head all wraped up...

Mom to 5 bugs said...

Oh, Flit!! So sorry. This mommy has the same opinions of coffee tables as your mommy so Dood just decided to fall onto the corner of his desk instead (as he was walking up the wagon handle that was balanced on his bed). Glad you could smile through it all and especially glad that Daddy was there with you guys too.
T-71 hours!!!!!
Love,
Melissa

Mom Of Many said...

Owww, that is so not fun!! Poor little baby girl...

And by the way, while i was reading your blog, Elizabeth is laying beside me {hotel bed} and she said, "I love that Chinese girl" referring to Teddi...how sweet is that? Time to let those little girls meet and play, don't ya' think?? xo