Saturday, March 8, 2008

Somewhere over the rainbow . . .



In January we mailed a small care package to Teddi. The most important item contained in that package was a little pink photo album full of pictures. There were pictures of us, our home (including Teddi's bedroom and bed), and also some of Teddi. These pictures would be Teddi's introduction to us, her family. I wanted a picture to include in the album that would put all of us "together" some how for Teddi's sake . . . so Taylor and I created the rainbow picture above.

You see-- Teddi is our "rainbow girl" . . . before we found Teddi I spent many a late night on the Internet . . . researching adoption agencies, looking at adoption listings . . . and reading anything having to do with adoption. One night I came across a site called rainbowkids.com. Rainbow Kids advocates for waiting children from all over, they send out lists from various agencies to get these children's faces out there to be seen . . . At some point I typed in my email address in order to get on a mailing list (little did I know). I believe this was on a Friday night. The following Monday morning I received my first email from RainbowKids--in it were pictures of "waiting children" in Eastern Europe. About two hours later I received another email, this email contained pictures of "waiting children" in China. Guess whose face I saw? Yep! Our Teddi girl! It was a tiny picture, and an older one at that, she was probably only around a year old in the photo, although at the time she would have already turned two. I told Bryan about her as soon as he walked in the door from work (no time to waste) and we made the decision to call the agency right then to find out more about her . . . the rest is history. On Monday we saw her face for the first time, and on Tuesday morning we called the agency back and said, "YES" to pursuing her adoption! We had found our pot of gold! She was in a distant land, and heaps of paperwork lay between us, but bit by bit, the paperwork would become a bridge to our girl. Were there clouds? You bet! Immigrations forms that we thought would never come . . . complications with fingerprint appointments . . . the list goes on. Along with that we prayed many prayers for patience . . . and they were answered. With the clouds and rain came sun . . . all of the necessary ingredients for a perfect rainbow!

As I was posting the picture above I found myself trying to sing these words . . . Somewhere over the rainbow . . .hmmmmmm, hmmm, hm . . . at which point I decided I should look up the lyrics, and boy did they bless my heart!


Over The Rainbow

(Arlen-Harburg)


Somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high

There's a land that I heard of

Once in a lullaby

Somewhere over the rainbow

Skies are blue

And the dreams that you dare to dream

Really do come true


Some day I'll wish upon a star

And wake up where the clouds are far behind me

Where troubles melt like lemondrops

Away above the chimney tops

That's where you'll find me


Somewhere over the rainbow

Bluebirds fly

Birds fly over the rainbow

Why then, oh why can't I?

Some day I'll wish upon a star

And wake up where the clouds are far behind me

Where troubles melt like lemondrops

Away above the chimney tops

That's where you'll find me

Somewhere over the rainbow

Bluebirds fly

Birds fly over the rainbow

Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly

Beyond the rainbow

Why, oh why can't I?

Some day soon my little bird is going to fly over the rainbow . . .

and dreams that we all dared to dream really are going to come true!

T~



No comments: