Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Have You Seen This?

This video has changed the way I am looking at Christmas this year.   If you haven't seen it, I invite you to watch it, and then ask yourself, "What can I do differently?"


(Sorry the video is a bit bigger than my space, it was hard enough to ge it here, I'm not going to mess with it again.) 



Maybe you are already doing things differently . . . Spending less, giving more presence. I would love to hear your ideas! I saw this video weeks ago and have tried numerous times to post it, without success until now . . . but it's not too late! 

After much discussion we are in the process of "shopping" the  World Vision catolog . . . and are also pondering a donation to Living Water in honor of our parents, who gave us life.  

Leslie, (who first brought this video to my attention), shared from the World Vision catalog about a family who has started a tradition of buying birthday presents for Jesus on Christmas Eve, from the WV Catalog.  This family's three year old son, decided to buy water for Jesus.  In the catalog you can also purchase warm wool blankets.   I think this would be a great lesson for our little ones, a practical way to bless others, while celebrating Jesus' birth.  I think we may even have a birthday party on Christmas Eve, and wrap up a small representation of our "gifts", for Brogan and Teddi to bring to Jesus' party.  A large reason that I am sharing all of this with you is so I will follow through.

I would love to hear your Christmas plans and ideas . . . 

Blessings from our very blessed nest . . . where it's time for change in the way we do Christmas. Spend less on gifts.  Give more presence. Love like Jesus.

Tina




4 comments:

Patientlywaiting said...

Tina,

Thanks for sharing this. It is a great reminder of what we should be focusing on during Christmas. A few years ago, we purchased bibles in our parents' name instead of gifts for them. We went through Samaritan's Purse. We have also done things through World Vision. My parents commented on how much it meant to have us purchase the bibles in their name much more than any other gift we could have given. Thanks again for the reminder.

Hugs,
Robin

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing this video, Tina. It's very eye-opening!

Another great ministry to give to is Voice of the Martyrs. They have Christmas care packs for kids in persecuted countries (which contain a Bible storybook as well as clothes, a toy and school supplies), and also village outreach packs which contain items that help local Christians with outreach.

You can also send Bibles to China and other countries through Voice of the Martyrs and fill Action Packs (they send you a special plastic bag and you fill it with certain sorts of items, then they deliver it to people in persecuted countries). Kids can definitely participate in these last two outreaches.

Blessings to you during this Christmas season! Your children will certainly be blessed through your desire to give more of yourself and less "stuff" this Christmas!

Much love to you my friend!
Sarah

Margaret M said...

Thanks for sharing this video. I saw it a few weeks ago and it touched me too. We were determined to have Christmas at home and set up our own traditions this year. Then things changed to alter our plans. I can not imagine being anywhere but Louisiana with my Mom for her first Christmas without Papa Jim. We are heading to Louisiana for 2 weeks to be present for my Mom. I just can't wait to get there. I hope you are blessed with your whole nest home!

Mom Of Many said...

I came to your post to thank you for your prayers and blessings you have given to Linny and I. But, honestly, I came to pick up my reward you mentioned in the post!! I received the reward -the video! I will be showing this video on church on Sunday and hope many catch it. I always loved a good conspiracy! Thanks for bringing Christmas back home! Dw