Monday, November 16, 2009

Memorial Box Monday ~ The Leaves



It's time to share another story, and place another treasure in our Memorial Box. For my full scoop on what a Memorial Box is see this post, which will also link you to my friend Linny's blog . . . which is where Memorial Box Monday got it's start!

The Leaves

About three weeks ago Brogan and Teddi were both doing a unit about fall at school. Brogan needed to go on a leaf walk and bring his findings to school to share. Now having grown up in Michigan I know what fall looks like, and what it doesn't look like! This is what you find on the ground in my Texas backyard in the fall . . .


. . . in my book, not exactly what fall looks like!

(For any Texans out there, I know there are spots in Texas that are beautiful in the fall, but at my place in Texas . . . um, not so much.)

I shared (whined) on the phone to my sister about our lack of fall foliage, and about our disappointing "leaf walk", which had given us two choices, green or brown. My sweet sister, who lives in Michigan, in turn shared with me about the absolute beauty surrounding her! She also promised to send some leaves quickly, so the kids could take them to school. We decided that it might be wise to send them in a ziploc, with a damp paper towel, so that they wouldn't curl up and get crunchy!

She soon called to say that the leaves were in the mail. I began to think that maybe it wasn't a good idea to send them damp, as they might mildew and turn black while journeying from north to south. Being one to pray about anything that is on my mind, I asked the Lord to please get the leaves here quickly before they had a chance to get mildewy. Two different times while driving down the road, I prayed my leaf prayer . . .

My sister had mailed the leaves on a Saturday afternoon right before her Post Office closed. She sent them First Class mail . . . no Priority, no Express, true snail mail. On Monday morning, less than 48 hours later, my mailman handed me a manilla envelope. It contained the leaves! They were damp and beautiful, and they smelled like my Michigan! Ahhhh!





Oh how God delights in the tiny details of our lives!

When I called my sister on Monday morning to tell her the leaves had arrived, her response was, "They can't be, I just mailed them!"

To which I replied, "Well they can be, because I prayed, and they're here!"

"No way!"

"Yep, they're here!"

God truly had answered my prayer to bring the leaves quickly! No doubt about it!

An interesting side note . . . the following week I mailed a package to my sister for my seven year old nephew's birthday. I thought since the leaves were so speedy, I'd skip the extra money for Priority and just send my little padded bag First Class-- after all it was making the same journey, only in reverse. Seven days later my little package arrived in Michigan. Seven days.

God had put "wings" on that little bag of leaves!




One of our beautiful little Michigan leaves will now have a place in our Memorial Box. A reminder that God does give us the desires of our heart, no matter how silly they may seem. Fall leaves in a little manila envelope-- quite unimportant in the "big scheme of things", yet they were important to our God!

He is faithful!

Blessings from my tickled nest ~

Tina

5 comments:

Addie Talley, Photographer said...

A good way to "save" the leaves is to place them in between 2 sheets of wax paper (wax on the inside towards the leaf) and then iron them... it will seal them in wax, and then just cut around the leaf... that way it doesnt make a mess out of your memorial box as it gets old

Sarah said...

God just loves to bless us with our heart's desires, doesn't He?! He is so kind! Thanks, Tina, for sharing this.

Blessings to you, my friend.
Sarah

Monica said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing your great story!

Taylor and Frankie Rodriguez said...

tis so true. :)

Karin said...

I just love it when God does stuff like that! :) The leaves are beautiful!