We are communicating quite well these days both in sign language and in English!
Teddi knows the signs for: please, thank you, more, drink, mama, baba, love, help, bike, swim, play, cat, dog, bird, happy, kind, share, pray, Jesus, big, little, bath, brush teeth, night night, book, shoes, swing, apple, cracker, baby, gentle, friend, bird, airplane, tree, cold, milk, water, flower, ball, blanket, rain, ice cream . . . and I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting! That's 43 signs! Not bad for eight weeks. We didn't know how to sign all of these before she came, we knew the basics . . . each day we look up a couple more and add them to the list. We watch a sign on the computer, show her once--and she has it!
Teddi's English: Favorite new phrase, "Oh man!" Which sounds like "Oh meh"--and she uses it appropriately, in a very surprised kind of tone. Too funny! Other favorite new words, "MINE", and "NO" both also used very appropriately. I am finally "Ma" instead of "eh", music to my ears! And tonight she actually called me mommy for the first time! Baba has been "Baba" since very early on. Brogan, sounds pretty close to "Brogan", and "Brady" and "Bryce" are a pronunciation work in progress. Big sister Taylor is "eeeeeeee-lah" and said with much affection! She also says night-night, bye-bye, hello, puppy, Atzec (our dog), drink, eat, bath, book, teeth (as in brush teeth), plane, cold, plane, more, and the best--yuv you! She is attempting to count, and she "sings" along with the ABC song. Of course with her open palate her pronunciation on a lot of things is kind of "off"--but the cool thing is, WE know what she's saying! We are so proud of you Teddi!
Sleeping is getting better. I still lay down with her for naps (on my bed) and bedtime (in her own bed!). She has allowed Baba to take my place a couple of times --not without a little fuss, but she's allowed it, and has manged to go to sleep. Some nights she sleeps quite soundly, and some nights she fusses off and on (much like a newborn)--but we do see progress. She wakes up happy in the morning, and I hear a sweet little "Ma" come across the baby monitor (instead of crying) another good sign that she is feeling more comfortable with us.
I am most blessed by the fact that Teddi now knows how to pray. She not only prays with us, but she has learned to pray on her own for her friend Bao Bao (Isabelle) who is waiting in Zhuhai to come home. Teddi signs Jesus, and then with hands folded she says "Bao Bao", then signs "friend", followed by a triumphant, "A-MEN!" My sweet girl's prayers will be answered very soon, as one week from today Bao Bao (soon to be Isabelle) will be placed in her mama Caroline's arms forever! Another of Teddi's orphanage friends, Bi Yu, will leave the same day as Bao Bao to join his forever family! And our "Claire prayer" will also be answered this week as our neighbors leave for China to bring home their new daughter. . . and Teddi's new friend! God is good!
We have been blessed with a happy little girl. There is no doubt in my mind that way before we ever saw Teddi's sweet face, God was shaping her for our family. She fits us perfectly! Three different times today I looked to see she and Brogan hugging each other's necks. They have grown so close over these last couple of weeks. Their relationship has been a work in progress as they have gotten to know one another, and this past week it has just bloomed. They delight in one another, and it is a delight for this mama to see.
We have transitioned to the name "Teddi" but I still call her "Xiao Xaio" (sheow-sheow) quite often, or "Teddi Xiao Xiao" or "Xiao-ie" (as in wowie Xiao-ie!) If she keeps on with the "NO" word, she's going to learn her THEADORA FU XIAO name, rather quickly! Yep, sweet girl, that's a big name isn't it? And it's all yours!
For now, that's my Let's Talk Teddi update . . .
We love you Teddi Xiao Xiao and we could not be prouder of how far you have come!
Blessings ~
Tina
Edited to add . . . I just posted this and realized that it has Saturday's date -- that is when I began the post. I edited it tonight (Monday) to update what I had already written . . . just a little blogger confusion!







8 comments:
Tina,
We are constantly amazed at how well your Teddi is fitting in to her new family. We enjoy seeing her beautiful sweet face next to yours. We are blessed to have you all as friends.
We love you!
I am pleased as I read of your little "honeymoon" with Teddi. It really is a time of getting to know her, her getting to know you and your family and you being able to introduce her to Jesus. I can see His tender, gracious fingerprints all over it Tina. Do you feel so blessed you are ready to bust??
Isn't He faithful my friend?
Isn't He wonderful, no matter what color the clouds are?
Soon, very soon, Teddi will know Him too. That is my prayer for her at the moment.
I appreciate you looking in on my blog. I was beginning to think no one was out there!!!
Your purple shirt friend,
Bonnie
we all learned mouse this weekend, that makes 44 signs. :)
Little Miss Bright Eyes is doing so well!! It is amazing how they are little sponges.
Man, does she know a lot of sign language...that is amazing!!! I an going to need to brush up on mine. Where did you learn all of those signs from?
Have a great day...Max is napping and I need to be mopping...to mopping I will go...
We are at day 32...Come on China!!
Hugs,
Kim
She is getting prettier ever time you post that sweet smile. She sure is a happy girl!
Doreen in Momtreal Mom to faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan
Thanks for the update! Always love reading how things are going. Signing was a really good idea. Miss you!!!
Melissa
WOW Teddi... I am so proud of you and of your brother Brogan who I am sure you are learning so much from. Tina, it is wonderful that you have a built in teacher about the same age as Teddi. To have someone your size to look to for help is the greatest. So happy to hear that you all are communicating so well for the difference in language. She is beautiful and I am so happy you found each other! Love, Karen
what an amazing little girl. it just warms my heart to know that Sweet Teddi is praying for our BaoBao. Thanks for the 8 week update...I am so happy to hear Teddi has adjusted so well. I can't believe in 6 days BaoBao will be in my arms!
Thanks for everything, Tina.
Blessings,
Caroline
Isabelle Pearl MinBao's Mommy (BaoBao)
Post a Comment