Nope, I'm not talking about any of my children--the big ones or the little ones, or my husband for that matter. It's me. I'm the whiner and I'm not proud.I was at the park near our home this evening, talking with a neighbor who I just recently met. She lives next door to the park. We had just gotten there, me pulling Teddi in the wagon and Brogan on his bike . . . which he had just run over my sandled foot with. Okay, he didn't actually run completely over it, but it kind of hurt . . . and I made a fuss to my new friend about how my day was kind of going down hill, wah, wah, wah. I whined.
My new friend proceeded to tell me that she had had a tough day. . . . a rough week. Her friend's nine month old baby had been the victim of a drowning after falling into an older sibling's yet undrained tub water. This baby girl had fought for her life for five days, but this morning went to be with Jesus. A little sister to five older siblings, a family's precious love, gone. And I was whining.
This mama whom I was speaking with has six little ones of her own, and a military husband who is away right now, in her words "just" for six weeks. She has spent the past five days ministering to a family in crisis, now in mourning. And I was whining to her. Oh me.
Of course as soon as our conversation ended, I began a conversation with myself (and the Lord) about what I really didn't have to whine about. I have so much to be thankful for . . . so very much. Yes, Brogan had run over my foot--but it certainly wasn't a cause for calling my day "downhill". It had actually been a pretty good day, for us.
Tonight as I filled Brogan and Teddi's little cups with milk to go with their bedtime snack, God spoke gently to my heart, "Don't cry over spilled milk."
I was given the chance to be an encouragement this evening at the park to someone who had had a really tough day. I could have done it easily with a smile and a caring, "How are you?" Instead I fussed. I whined. I cried over spilled milk.
The good news is, His mercies are new every morning! Tomorrow is a new day. Lord please forgive my whining, and remind me to smile when I'm tempted to fuss. Amen.
Life is a lesson, some days I do better than others. Today, not so much. Tomorrow I will try to do better.
Blessings from my "thankful for His grace" nest~
Tina







5 comments:
Hi Tina,
That is right, he does give us a new chance each morning and he also knows your heart and knows that sometimes all mommas need a little time to whine and that you are always there for a friend. Don't be too hard on yourself. So sorry to hear the horrible story. We will pray for the family.
Love, Karen
I just love you. Open, honest, beautiful you. We can all think about how messy our spilled milk is before whining. Just going to go step out of the pond of spilled messes I've been wallowing in for a few hours and give myself a good check up from the neck up.
You are such an inspiration. As I await to hear my friend's double mastectomy result, I ponder your words. We are indeed blessed. Do we have trials? Absolutely, but it is during those times that we should praise Him the most because it is usually then that we reach out our arms to Him and begged to be carried.
Love you, lady!!
Ohilda
Ahhh...I know this post all too well...I've lived it too much myself. And I too am SO thankful for his mercies. God is so kind to not give up on us! It makes me think of that old song...
"He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be. It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars, The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars. How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me."
Tina, you have such an honest, pure heart. What a blessing to "know" you!
And I loved your Teddi post below. She sounds like she is just doing wonderful! What a happy little girl! Praise God!
God Bless You!
Tina,
You are precious! I loved your post and can truly relate. Isn't it awesome how God puts when and where we need to be for that little wake up...to open our eyes. Tina, you have a precious heart and that is what God looks at. We all make mistakes and all have bad days but girl, you have a heart of gold...I believe that God is smiling on you and is so pleased.
Love you girl,
Kim
Post a Comment