Monday, October 26, 2009

Memorial Box Monday ~ The Truck


It's time to share another story, and place another treasure in our Memorial Box. For my full scoop on what a Memorial Box is see this post, which will also link you to my friend Linny's blog . . . which is where Memorial Box Monday got it's start!

Today's Story ~ The Truck

This story took place in Valdosta, Georgia in 1998, while we were stationed at Moody Air Force Base. Bryan was out of town on temporary duty, as he very often was back then. Bryce and Taylor were at school, and Brady and I had been running errands out at the base, which was about seven miles or so from where we live. With errands finished we were heading for home, in time to be there when Bryce and Taylor (both elementary age) got off the bus. As I approached the main gate to leave the base, the light turned red. We waited in a line of traffic, near the front, until the light turned green. As the light changed I accelerated, only to have my car stallllllll.

I was now holding up a fairly long line of traffic.

Come on baby, start . . . c'mon . . . oh pleeeeease start . . . . pleeeeease . . . c'mon turn over. Nope. It wasn't happening. You know the feeling.

Panic.

First thought--I'm holding up traffic. Second thought-- Bry is nowhere around. Third thought-- my kids are going to be coming home from school. Soon. What do I do?

Before I knew it, two men in blue (go Air Force!) had abandoned their own vehicles to come push mine out of the way. Issue one was resolved-- the traffic which I had been blocking could now proceed. But now what?

One of the guys then pulled his vehicle up behind my dead car, so that he could make sure I had a way out of my situation. One problem. No cell phone--remember, it was 1998, no husband, no plan . . . no way out.

I shared my predicament with my would be rescuer. He thought for a moment and then said this, "I'll tell you what. My wife gets off work in a little bit, she works just about two blocks from here (on the base). We'll just drive over to her work. You can drop me off. I'll ride home with her, and you can take my truck."

My spinning head tries hard to comprehend . . .

Did he just say I could take his truck?

I respond, "Oh no, I couldn't do that."

To which he responds, "Sure you can, really, it's no problem!"

So in we climb; my angel rescuer, my little Brady boy, and me! We drive the two blocks to his wife's place of work. Upon arrival I ask, "Would you like my name and phone number (address perhaps) so that you can retrieve your truck?"

He tells me that would be good. He then shares that he and his wife have plans to go out of town the following day (Saturday), and that they will just come by in the morning and pick up the truck.

Wow!

So my little guy and I drive away . . . in a stranger's truck, arriving home just in time to meet my other babes coming off the bus. Smoooth.

Writing this story I still scratch my head . . . and God smiles!

I grew up going to church, but at this point in my life I was just beginning to understand what a relational walk with Jesus was like. To say that this was a faith-builder would be an understatement. I knew without a doubt, that the Lord was taking care of the very details of my life, and in a very speedy manner I might add!

We are all called to serve. There are those people who don't hesitate to give someone the shirt off their back. But . . . to jump out of your vehicle and hand your keys to a perfect stranger? Could I do that? Would I do that? What a beautiful example of God's love this man was to me. He was God's hands and feet to this young mama that day, and oh how I was blessed.

Before the day was done my sweet neighbor took me back to the base (while yet another neighbor watched my children). He towed my car, with his own truck, across the street to an auto repair shop. (The nearby repair shop was another great blessing-- my car could have broken down anywhere . . . like along the busy road I was trying to pull out on to, but it didn't!)
The following day, the same neighbor took me back to retrieve my repaired car.

God sooooo took care of me in my husband's absence. Didn't He?

The man and his wife picked up their truck that next morning. I hugged their necks. They smiled, and reminded me that they were simply happy to help.

Oh Lord, that I would always be that "simply happy" to help. You are so generous to me!

A little pick-up truck will be added to our Memorial Box, so that we will always remember the day the Lord took car of my very immediate need. In a very radical way!

Blessings from my grateful nest ~

Tina

Let all that I am praise the Lord;

may I never forget the good things he does for me.

~ Psalm 103:2, NLT


P.S.

I will post an update on my bloggy shower GIVEAWAY tomorrow!! Stay tuned! There's still time to come to the shower-- and get entered in the giveaway! :)

5 comments:

Margaret M said...

What a wonderful story! What a wonderful Blessing! Thanks for sharing!

Mom to 5 bugs said...

I just LOVE Memorial Box Mondays!

Patientlywaiting said...

I love this story Tina. I know our Air Force guys are wonderful but for a complete stranger to give you his truck, WOW! God is good!

Hugs,
Robin

Sarah said...

Tina,

What a beautiful story. God is faithful indeed!! I bet Bryan was particularly grateful for all of the help that you received while he was away!

Many blessings to you, friend.
Sarah

Taylor and Frankie Rodriguez said...

God's workings just make me giggle sometimes! tee, hee, hee! see?!

love it! thanks for sharing! :D