Monday, August 30, 2010

Memorial Box Monday ~ Homeschooling


Memorial Box Monday was started by my dear friend Linny @ A Place Called Simplicity, she explains what a Memorial Box is here.

In short-- Just as the children of Israel set stones as Memorials to remind them of the mighty things the Lord had done for them, we put tangible items into our Memorial Box, to represent and remind us, of the many times the Lord has moved on our behalf. And just as the Israelites passed down the stories of God's provision to their children, and their children's children--we will use our Memorial Box to teach and remind our children (and someday, our children's children) of God's great faithfulness to our family, and His personal love for us!


Memorial Box Monday ~ Homeschooling

This week's MBM post is something that has been unfolding over the past few months . . .

Brogan had been asking me to homeschool him since last spring (over the course of his last couple of months of Kindergarten). He was doing well academically, but he pretty much despised the length of the school day -- which here is 7 1/2 hours long, even for Kindergarteners. (I won't go into detail about how I feel about that, except to say I don't like it-- not even one little bit.) Brogan is also a quiet lovin' kid. He likes things that are peaceful and in order--everything a Kindergarten classroom is not. He likes to socialize, and he had great school friends, but the classroom atmosphere (and the rowdy misbehavior of a select few) really wore on him. On rough mornings while I would be trying to get him up and going, I would promise him that we would pray about homeschooling for the coming year.

In the meantime Brogan begged. Summer came, and anytime first grade was mentioned he would matter-of-factly state, "I am not going to school. I am homeschooling." Thankfully, my Teddi girl, who is is a social butterfly (and whose communications skills prosper in that environment), was looking forward to Kindergarten with as much excitement as Brogan was dread of going back.

I began praying in the spring, asking the Lord to guide my decision for Brogan . . . May turned to June, June turned to July, July turned to August, and I still had no answer. I had homeschooled Brady (now 18), on and off beginning in the first grade, so I wasn't really afraid of how I would do it--but I surely didn't want to start if it wasn't the Lord's plan.

School was now just a little over two weeks away. I was driving home one evening after a quick shopping trip, and as I neared the house I realized Bryan's gas tank (I was using his truck) was almost empty. I had just passed the base gas station, so I turned around to go put gas in his truck. I finished pumping the gas and got back in the truck to drive the couple of blocks home-- as I did, I prayed-- "Lord, this homeschooling question is really making my stomach hurt. We are nearly down to two weeks, and I am hearing nothing. I don't know what to do. I really don't know what to do . . ."

I pulled up in front of our house and walked in. Our front door enters into our living room and the room was dark, except for the glow of the television. Bryan and the kids had rented the DVD "Astro Boy" and were snuggled up watching it together.

Just for some background-- Astro Boy (Toby) is a powerful robot, created by a scientist to replace the son he has lost. Astro Boy uses his powers to become a famous super hero which then creates unforeseen problems for his Father . . .

I walked in the house and instead of setting my bags down near the door as I normally would, I walked across the living room with them and sat them down near my bedroom door. (Our bedroom door goes off of the living room just a few feet from the armoire that holds the television). This put me about two feet from the side of the television, and as I let go of my bags these are the words that were coming loudly out of the tv speaker:

(Astro Boy's father was talking to him).

Dad: Sit down, Toby. I want to talk to you.
Toby: Sure, Dad.
Dad: It's about school.
I have decided you shouldn't go anymore, son.
I'm going to teach you at home. Myself!
Toby: Sounds good to me.
My mouth kind of fell open. I looked at Bryan and I told him that I had just (as in two minutes before) told the Lord that my stomach was hurting, and that I really, really needed to know what to do about homeschooling Brogan.

Had that really just come out of the television set . . . just as I walked across the room to set my bags down . . . just after I had come through the door, slightly delayed, because I had turned around to pump gas?

If anyone doubts that the Lord still speaks today, He does. If we ask and if we listen, we will hear Him. His voice may take different forms (it does for me), but if you are asking and if you are listening, you will know His voice . . . even when it comes in the form of Astro Boy's scientist father.

John 10:27 promises "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

The answer was clear. I would be homeschooling Brogan. My relieved heart sighed, and my stomach ache vanished--along with the anxiety that had been causing it.

Of course I'm human, so the next morning I prayed, "Lord, would you please confirm this?" Yep, honest, I really did. And guess what. When not one single bloggy friend had been mentioning anything at all about homeschool this, or homeschool that (remember I had been looking for any sign at all), suddenly my friend "O", on the day that I had asked God for confirmation, made a big announcement-- she was homeschooling!

The very next day, the Lord would put homeschooling before my eyes again through yet another blog. Which takes me to day three . . . I woke that morning with a new anxiety, "Would Teddi be okay with us dropping her off at school, knowing Brogan would be returning home with me. She was excited, sure-- but full days of school hadn't become her reality yet. What affect would this have on my sweet China girl? Would she think I loved Brogan more than I loved her? That would break my heart . . .

Sometimes we don't even pray specifically about a matter, before the Lord hears our heart's cry and brings reassurance. On day three, my blogger friend Sonia wrote a post about her four boys (soon to be six boys, with the addition of TWO little guys waiting in China--you must go check out their amazing God story-- but don't forget to finish my post!) Sonia was telling that her twins had started public school that day, while her 7th and 8th grader would be homeschooled. (For seven years the boys had attended private school). In her post Sonia talked about how we as parents, in the beginning, think we know exactly how all of this parenting business will go. With years of experience under her belt Sonia has drawn this conclusion, when it comes to educating her children--

"I think you learn after a few years that what works for one may not work for all. (Talking to myself here so that I can read this 35 years from now and remember what I have learned.) They are each unique beings hand crafted by the Maker. Since He took such great care and delight in forming them I need to take great care and delight in finding who they are, and specifically, in regards to this, how they best learn. Will we always home-school? No idea. One year at a time. As they change and grow we will change with them."

God knew I need to hear Sonia's words that very day, as I worried and fretted over how Teddi would handle Brogan staying home. How precious He was to remind me, through Sonia, that "They are each unique beings hand crafted by the Maker." If homeschooling was the decision He was guiding me to, then my children would be okay, after all He had hand crafted them! And as Sonia said, "Will we always homeschool? No idea. One year at a time. As they change and grow we will change and grow with them." These too, were precious encouraging words to put my once again anxious heart at ease.

God is so very faithful to hear our cries. To guide our steps. To light our path when we are trying to feel our way along in the dark. Oh where would I be without Him?

We now have one week of homeschooling under our belts. Shortly after God confirmed this plan for Brogan, He provided everything I needed to teach my littlest man. Brogan and I had a wonderful first week together!
Teddi is absolutely loving Kindergarten. She giggled in delight tonight (Sunday), when she realized that, "tomorrow is a school day"! She can't wait to go back! I am so proud of of them both.


Into our Memorial Box will go an Astro Boy action figure . . .
to remind us of the time the Lord used something totally unexpected to answer a mama's prayers for guidance-- for her very own little super heros! He is faithful!

Blessings from our homeschooling/public schooling nest ~

Tina


*Newsflash* The Newlys are celebrating their bloggy birthday and their 100th post today (Monday, August 30th)! They would love it if you stopped by-- and you just might win something, they are giving birthday presents away all day!! You can find them here!

9 comments:

Taylor and Frankie Rodriguez said...

Awesome! :)
T

Sarah said...

Sounds like you made a great decision for EACH of your children! I'm sure that they'll both love their year.

Blessings,
Sarah

Karin said...

I just LOVE IT when God does stuff like that! :) I was just telling my girls this week how God spoke to me through a "Touched by an Angel" episode. :)

Ohilda said...

I love your obedience to Him and how you wait to make sure it's what He wants, and not what you want.

It's also funny that I rarely (and am saddened about it) have time to blog hop like I use to, but tonight I was thinking about your family and made a mental note to "pop in". Another affirmation that I, too, am on the right track.

We are not alone. He knows our hearts, our fears and our desires...and responds to each and every one of them.

You're an awesome Mama and a wonderful example of a servant of God.

Love ya!

O.

Anonymous said...

I love it when God speaks so clearly like this!! Great story ! I know you will be blessed have Brogan at home-I miss those days homeschooling now that my boys of grown and gone.

bee blessed
mary

Patientlywaiting said...

Great reminder Tina! I needed your words as my kiddos enter back into the public school system after home schooling last year. They are doing great but I still miss them and am trying to get used the crazy busy nights with tired kids up doing homework. Who knows, homeschool may be in our future again too. On a side note, Claire is loving kindergarten and she too gets excited when she knows that she has school tomorrow!

Miss you and love ya,
Robin

Renee said...

I love this story of how God spoke to you clearly and then affirmed His voice two more times! I usually need to hear something 3 times and then i sit up and take note!! Thanks for sharing God's guidance with us.

Mom Of Many said...

What a wonderful thing! I love that you are home schooling your little guy and he looks so delighted in his picture...and I love how you heard the Lord speak - He is so faithful!

Goodness and Mercy Mom said...

Tina, what a great story of God's leading. One of the biggest choices we make for our families is how we school our children. It's so true that each child requires different things and even seasons in life require changes. I homeschooled my boys last year, but my girls attended a Christian school. This year all four are at the same Christian school (and they love it), but next year I might bring them all home.

You will LOVE this special one-on-one time with Brogan. And both Teddi and Brogan will remember that you listened to what they needed with their schooling.

I hope all is well in your precious nest!

Much Love,
Kathie