Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Zoo Day, plus!

More pictures of the favorite new girl in my life . . .


This was last night after her first tub bath--she was unsure at
first, but within about three minutes she was laughing
and dumping water over her brother's head!

Theadora Fu Xiao Winder . . . Life is Good!

The "Big Brother" grin that never stops . . . still goin' strong!

With other big brother at the zoo!

Watching the monkeys . . .


Have you ever seen an elephant do this?
Have you ever seen sisters this cute? Okay, I'm
the mom, I know . . . but they're still cute!



More monkey watching . . .
Giraffes, up close and personal!


Self portrait . . . me and my new girl!

It was a busy day today. We made it down to breakfast by 8:30. Each morning we enjoy a wonderful breakfast buffet right here at our hotel . . . everything from omelette's, to fried rice, to fruit . . . pastries, noodles (yes noodles, this is China) . . . to everybody's favorite breakfast item: Soya beans with ketchup sauce . . . otherwise know as pork and beans, no kidding! The variety of items is quite funny at times! Anyway, breakfast is fun, as there are always other adoptive families to catch up with!

Mr. Li was here to pick us up by 9:30, and we headed to the zoo. It was nicer and bigger than I expected, and the kids enjoyed it. We seemed to be the only Americans there and received a fair amount of staring which is completely acceptable here in China. They stared, and I smiled, a LOT!

After the zoo Mr. Li took us to a very nice Chinese Dim Sum restaurant. It was very large and very busy, and located on the third floor of a fancy mall, and it was filled with nicely dressed people! By this time we were hot and sweaty and looking a little zoo-ish . . . and I was feeling a bit out of place, not to mention the stress of the unknown food to come, and the whole feeding a new three year old with chopsticks. Enough to make one sweat if they weren't already sweating and zoo-ish! From the minute we were seated Xiao Xiao decided that it would be fun to impersonate all that she had just seen at the zoo. Mind you . . . white table cloths, glass dishes, tea cups and saucers, and big chopsticks and large serving spoons resting on a fancy schmancy sterling chopstick/spoon "rests"! Now add the pouring of HOT green tea. . . Sweaty mom gets sweatier as new daughter decides it will be fun to grab everything, and I mean everything in sight!

Step 1: Quickly begin pushing everything towards the center of the beautifully set, large round table.

Step 2: Grab said "large" chopsticks from small hands right before they put out sweaty mom's left eye!

Step 3: Open backpack and grab stickers and the beloved Magna Doodle!

Step 4: Put Magna Doodle back away, as sweaty mom realizes that the Magna Doodle could take out half the breakable items on the table with one toss from small child impersonating zoo experience.

Step 5: Mouth one important word across the table to worried dad-- "PRAY"!

Step 6: Join worried dad in silent prayer, "Dear Jesus, please oh please, settle this child."

Step 7: Excuse yourself and wild child from the table for a "short walk" as you wait for prayers to kick in!

Step 8: Bravely return to table after food has arrived. Now figure out what and how to feed "somewhat" settled down child. Hot broth--large spoon, large meatballs--larger chopsticks! Thanks to Taylor for serving us from the center of the table where everything is placed family style. We managed to fill up, and somewhat tame the savage beast.

Step 9: Utter prayer of thanks that no hot tea was spilled, no meatballs were flung, no food made its way through the open palate and out the nose of the zoo impersonator, and that the Winders were now leaving the dim sum restaurant never to return again! No offense . . . I'm just afraid they would see us coming and lock the door. Last thankful prayer . . . everyone else behaved, and enjoyed themselves! Brogie was an angel . . . whew!

By this time I was ready for a nap, but we still had an hour to kill before an appointment at the local Police Station to have Xiao Xaio's passport photo taken. So we walked around the mall a bit, escorted by Mr. Li. . . finally finding our way outside and down the street to a Starbucks, where we entered in for more zoo impersonating! The drinking of orange juice and the shoveling of pound cake and muffins . . . crumbs a flyin'! Mind you every other bite of deliciously smooshed muffin goes into sweaty moms mouth via zoo girls generous hands! Bottom line: Sharing dessert with my new Chinese daughter, in a Chinese Starbucks in downtown Guangzhou--PRICELESS!

We made it to the Police Station for our 3:00 p.m appointment with everyone intact. Upon arrival we received a Chinese document declaring us the official parents of Theadora Fu Xiao Winder! Little Miss, who had by now used up all of her zoo impersonating energy, had her passport photo taken . . . and we were delivered safely back to our hotel.

The long awaited nap was taken!

Upon wake-up we ventured out for dinner . . . and did it all again! Brogie, who hadn't napped earlier, slept through dinner. Xiao Xiao managed a shortened version of her zoo routine--this time in a more casual setting, outdoors, with fewer onlookers. Sweaty mom, didn't sweat as much, and she even managed to eat!

All in all, a good day. Elephants, giraffes, a panda, a passport, some dim sum, some muffins . . . and a new girl, who is ALL OURS!

Blessings from China~

Tina

Love to the biggest, big brother in Washington, we miss you Bryce! Love to my mama (and Teddi's G'ma) reading in Florida, thank you Joyce for sharing your computer! Love to our other G'mas and G'pas in Michigan . . . Love to Aunties and Uncles and cousins, we can't wait for you to meet our girl. . . and to our Journey Fellowship family and Texas friends, and neighbors. Love to you Rosemary in Florida, and to the whole Zhuhai family! Thanks to all of you who are following along and supporting our journey, wherever you may be! What a joy you are to us!
T~







7 comments:

Sue Huber said...

I so look forward to a report on each day with Teddi in charge! I'm so impressed with how good Brogie is being. I remember that Dim Sum restaurant!! We felt somewhat like the country cousins in our sloppy travelling clothes - we'd been soaked at the 'open' style museum just hours earlier and it was freezing! We were so hungry and loved the meal - in fact, they had to bring out more and more dishes. Just loving all your photos and your stories.
Love,
Sue

Ohilda said...

Tina,

I'm loving following your journey. You crack me up because you sound so much like me!! heh!

It sounds like you are truly experiencing all of China. In a few months, you will be wishing you were sitting at that same round table and expecting some cuisine extraordinaire. Enjoy every second.

Hugs to you and your beautiful family, especially that oh, so adorable, new Chinese daughter.

Ohilda

Patientlywaiting said...

Tina,

I love each new post, story, and photos! You had me laughing today as I read about the restaurant. I have definately been there, done that (however not in China but hopefully will soon). Thanks for taking time out to post each experience for us. I do look forward to seeing what new adventures you are having with your beautiful little girl. Take care and enjoy your time in China. BTW - It is been in the high 90s since you left, yesterday even hit 100; uugghh!

Love,
R. Haines

Kim said...

Tina,

LOL...I loved the post...sounds like you will sleep good tonight.

The zoo looks great, we didn't go to the zoo last year but that will have to be a must this trip.

Glad Teddi is doing so well!

HUGS,
Kim

Margaret M said...

I am so glad things are going so well! I love the postings and the pictures. You have such beautiful children!!!

Jill W said...

What a wonderful day! Oh the power of prayer to get you through those sweaty times. I can't wait to get to China to meet our Bethany.

Beccy said...

LOVE the elephant photo! My sister says that her kids get celebrity treatment all the time - photos, get their hair touched, and they feed them, too! I am so excited for you and glad that I found your link so I can be praying for you for the rest of your trip. I can't wait to meet your new little one when you bring her home.