Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday Goodness!

We worshipped the Lord in China today! We attended the Christ Church here on Shamien, the sermon was preached in Chinese, but translated to English. The church was beautiful, and more precious was the fact that it was filled to overflowing with our Chinese brothers and sisters in Christ (and this was one of only two or three services,) Two songs were sung in Chinese, and then everyone sang two worship songs in English.




Singing, "Here I am to Worship" surround by Chinese Christians, with my new daughter in my arms, was more than this mama could take. I did more thankful sobbing than singing . . . another sweet China memory made. God is amazing, and He is alive in China!




We came home from church, and Bry and the kids ran across the street to 7 Eleven and brought back cup noodles, and fresh dim sum ( a warm dumpling type bread, with various fillings inside). After lunch Teddi and I took a nice long nap! It felt so good.




Dong and Susan (from Susan's Place--our favorite shop) called us after church and invited us, and the Johnson family over to share a "simple Chinese dinner" as they called it. We gathered around the tea table in the shop and shared a delicious meal that Dong had prepared. They kept calling it simple, and saying that it was a typical dinner that they would eat at home. Honestly it tasted better to me than anything I have had in the fancy restaurants, and I told them so! Susan studied English in college for three years, and Dong's English is quite good too, they are both very funny! The fellowship was great. Such a blessing to have such a "sweet peek" into the Chinese way of life. After dinner was more tea prepared by Dong, at his cool tree slab tea table. He makes tea, after tea . . . stuff we have never heard of, and then pours "rounds" of it into tiny tea cups for all to try. So much fun, even Brogie enjoys tea at Dong's, and Miss Teddi did some tasting of her own as well last night. She was very good, and let everyone help with her a little, so mama got a bit of a breather. As the evening wore on the guys made their way outside to the front of the shop, for the Chinese version of hackey sack-- a small disk with feathers attached. Teddi looked on, as Susan and I chatted, Susan and Dong have a two year old little boy who is cared for by Dong's parents at the home they all share. Susan began asking me questions, and before long I was mentoring a new mom on the trials and tribulations of raising an active two year old boy!




I will never meet Teddi's Chinese mama, nor be able to express my gratitude to her, but God allowed me the opportunity last night to pour into another China mama. It did my heart much good!




I had better caption these pictures and get back to bed! Teddi continues to get more comfortable with us each day, and a little less wild. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to my adoptive mom and dad friends who have sent words of encouragement to me!




I can't believe it has been almost one week since we received our sweet gift. What a week it has been . . . joy unspeakable . . . with a side of stressful family closeness . . . it's all good! Along with the wonderful fellowship of our new found Chinese friends. Once again, so much to be thankful for!




Some favorites from today . . .





What a mighty God we serve!Teddi girl, admiring hers and Daddy's creation!


New love, at breakfast, out of the high chair

for a snuggle. She's happiest when her hands are

full . . . food, toys or her beloved sippy cups! She's

holding dim sum, and her sippy here, ever so tightly.





Standing in the doorway of Dong and Susan's shop.

(On the threshold of a new life . . . )

Photo by big sister. Thank you Taye for

photographing the night for us!

Hackey sack, China style.



Brogie enjoying tea at Dong's,
such big boy. I am so proud of him!

Feeding my baby bird.
Eating dinner around the tea table-- Noodles, rice, two different

vegetables--one was sweet potato tops, the greens, tasted like spinach,

not sure what the other one was, it was also green.

Two main dishes, one with shoots, kidney beans and some beef . . .

spiced with hot peppers and garlic, it was good. The second dish was potatoes

and chicken, seasoned with garlic and onion

And by chicken I mean every part of the chicken

including a foot, I kid you not! You can thank me for saving

you from the picture that Taylor took. We had a good laugh when

Brian J. asked Abbie, if she would like to polish the chicken's nails!

Sorry, I know, too much information . . . you had to be there.

This place is crazy . . .




Ahhhhhhhhhhh, chicken feet in China! Does it get any better than that?



Four more days until we are headed home. I'm gonna miss this place . . . everything but the chicken feet, and maybe the squatty potties!



Love from China~
Tina


4 comments:

Margaret M said...

I bet that was a wonderful experience with Dong and Susan!!! I am so happy things are going so well for all of you.

Kim said...

I know it must be amazing worshiping in China with other Chinese brothers and sisters. We were not in Guangzhou on a Sunday last year, but will be this year. We will for sure want to go. I am so glad that you were able to experience a true China lifestyle with Susan and Dong, you will never forget the time with them. I hope your last few days are amazing and totally unforgettable. I just love you and your precious family.

Kim

Bonnie said...

Wow whee what an adventure! I loved hearing about worship with our Chinese brothers and sisters...God is so BIG isn't He?
We are praying for you Tina. God is faithful,
Bonnie

Patientlywaiting said...

Wow, what an awesome Sunday! How awesome to worship with other brothers and sisters in China! I love all of the photos. It sounds like Teddi is adjusting pretty well. In fact, it sounds like you are all doing well with all of your family togetherness! Can't wait for you all to return to Texas!

Love,
R. Haines

BTW - We got our PA on 5/23! Woohoo, we are one step closer to Claire!